1.6 tdci to 1.6 petrol? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Hi - I am considering changing from mk2 1.6tdci to mk3 1.6 petrol. Has anyone here made that change, and if so could they give me their view on performance and economy differences. Many thanks.

2010 1.6TDCi Titanium, Panther Black, Sony 6CD DAB, USB/BT, Privacy Glass, F&R Parking Sensors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 06:49 AM

I think there were several people who had the 1.6 petrol in the earlier version who were a little dissapointed with the 1.6 petrol especially as to economy and engine noise at motorway speeds due to the very short fifth gear ratio

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 02:47 PM

i have the 2010 model 1.6 ecoboost which is incredibly quiet save for the lone rattle! So quiet in fact i have got out of the car and left the engine running without realising! As for mpg I have just clocked up 1,000 currently getting 37mpg average so far 34.4mpg

1.6 Ecoboost - Frozen White

post #4 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
I drove the 1.6 ecobooston test and I have to say it's one of the nicest petrol engined cars I have ever driven. It was very torquey and I actually managed not to stall it. which, after some 14 years of diesel ownership is a minor miracle and says a lot for the engine. However, I didn't find it any quicker than my 2.0 TDCi which is averaging about 45 MPG in my hands. Diesel is now 1.54 a litre here in Shetland, and for some obscure reason, Petrol is now 12 pence a litre cheaper, at 1.42. However, given the figures, and the fact that the Tax on the Diesel is less, the diesel is still the cheapest to run. I can't speak for a naturally aspirated petrol engine except to say that the last one I drove was gutless and noisy! Almost exactly what they used to say about Diesels!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Hi BB i went for petrol as my previous 1.9tdci astra was ......! I purchased the diesel 2nd hand like everything else about it but it was the most expensive car ever to run due to the ever growing list of major parts that went wrong it cost me 7k over 5 years with 45k on the clock and the car being only 6 months old when I had it. My mileage is low so figured that perhaps diesel was not best suited to my lifestyle. Incidently the astra was averaging about 35 to the gallon so on the fuel side I am quids in.

1.6 Ecoboost - Frozen White
post #6 of 7 Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 AM

When we bought ours we tested both the 1.6 TDCi 110 and the 1.8 petrol, no contest, the 1.8 was OK but the TDCi was so much better especially on A roads and M ways. Office colleague of wife bought 1.6 petrol shortly after and has always hated the car. Personally I would not buy a modern small capacity non turbo petrol in a large car, all you will get is poor economy, poor performance (unless you really rag it all the time) and a hatred of going anywhere in it. I have tried a 1.4 turbo petrol Skoda 120bhp and the engine IMHO was superb, probably where Ford got the idea for the Ecoboost.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2012, 10:33 PM

ive just got rid of my vectra 1.9cdti (150) for a cmax 1.6 petrol. The performance is obviously a lot different on motorway etc, but i find town driving which is the majority of mine there is little difference in performance as i find this to drive just like the vec did upto 30-40mph. I too had major problems with the dsl probably due to my short journeys, but i had the dmf go the clutch, inlet manifold swirl rail broke, egr valve, intercooler on its way, possible turbo on its way. I was getting 38 mpg ish in the vectra and now im getting around 32 ish so its not a massive difference i dont think. To save lots of money by having a diesel i feel like you need to be doing a lot of miles and more motorway miles to really reep the benefits of having a diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page