Speed Limit - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 06-18-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me, maybee you could answer this if you're in the Police, is there an unwritten rule about speed limits?
I only passed my test May 09 and I am getting sick of the number of other drivers that are driving right up my backside when I am doing the speed limit and the first chance they get, they fly past me like they are rushing to their own accident.
I estimate they are doing 5mph over the speed limit. I thought speed limits were there for a reason, if everyone is going 5mph over the limit and the police dont mind, why is this as there are adverts about driving at 30mph and the % of people who survive and at 40mph the % of people who get killed, so whats the statistics of driving at 35mph?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 AM

There's no unwritten rule but it's fair to say traffic flows at faster than the legal limit.
Just mind your own business keeping left to allow them to over take.
As you become a more confident driver you will find yourself travelling over and 'going with the flow'.
Speed limits and death statistics aren't a goodreflection. Someone travelling at 35mph with two hands on the wheel with good eyesight, quick reactions and a vehicle in good condition (as well as loads of other things) is a safer driver than the old lady travelling at 25mph with the M reg micra who has left her glasses at home.

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
post #3 of 55 Old 06-19-2010, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

I do see your point about the stats - it all depends on a number of things.
But, knowing my luck, I'd be the one pulled over by the Police for doing 35 in a 30 zone, after all - it is breaking the speed limit. So WHY do people do it?
If the law states a speed limit, Why go over it, If I was a cop I'd be doing everybody for breaking the speed limit - why's it there in the first place then?

post #4 of 55 Old 06-19-2010, 06:39 AM

Because you could argue it's not actually breaking the law....
It has to be in the public interest to prosecute and for the few miles MPH difference (which can easily be reduced to almost legal limits when you take into account the speedo) it's in no ones interests to be pulling people over for it. There are far more important, serious and life threatening crimes that it's in the public interest to see prosecutions for.
It's not at all a case of he broke the law therefore he must be fined.
Just concentrate on what you're doing and driving defensively - start worrying about other drivers and their standards and your heart won't hold up too long ;-)

08 1.8 Titanium C-Max *ST Styled* With Car PC Fitted
Previous:54 1.6TDCi LX Focus C-Max
post #5 of 55 Old 06-19-2010, 12:03 PM

The usual amount above the limit for action is 10% +3 MPH and I think the lack of anything being done is just an indication of how little a lot of the police want to be bothered. The increasing arrogance of a growing number of drivers would mean a full time job ( not that that would actually be a bad thing). If this were coupled with controlling those who appar to abandon (rather than park) vehicles just about wherever, including feeling it is their right to attempt to threaten you as a pedestrian when they park (sic) ½ on the pavement (including police battenburg)

The other dangerous speed difference is taken to be when a vehicle differs from the norm (average) by more than 20 MPH either above or below

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #6 of 55 Old 06-19-2010, 02:07 PM

I know from watching my TomTom display that my speedo is around 6% faster than my GPS speed so if I drive with an indicated 70 mph I am actually only doing 65.8 mph and yes cars would be overtaking me quite legally.

54 2.0 TDCI Ghia non DPF Tonic Blue

post #7 of 55 Old 06-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Speedos are homologated to allow them to readNO MOREthan 10% at 30 MPH fast or 3 MPH over their whole operating range

Richard
post #8 of 55 Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 PM

Interesting Richard, as mine is out by more than 3mph at 70mph have any other members that have satnav checked their speedo?

post #9 of 55 Old 06-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Or have you checked the accuracy of the GPS system that is driving the speed calculation in the navigation device. It will probably only be accurate to plus / minus 10 m and with a largish %age accuracy range as well

To get any GPS system that is accurate to around 1m and with a low %age error means buying a unit from the likes of Trimble that used to cost upward of £3000 and that was a few years ago

Richard
post #10 of 55 Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 PM

These guys seem to agree that Ford speeds tend to be on the high side.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...er=asc&start=0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page