MOT's why do they do that?! - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

MOT's why do they do that?!

I looked at my MOT history today. I had it MOT'd a few days ago and it passed which is good.

When I checked the history I noticed that they failed it because a side light had failed. They then re-tested the car after they replaced the bulb.

What I don't get is why they didn't just change the blub when they noticed it had broken. Whay do they fail it, fix it and re-test it?

Seems a waste of time to me and it cost me no extra.

2nd Cmax - sucker for punishment!

2006 1.8 Duratec-HE (125) LX in Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 01:31 PM

I had an Mot recently and the only thing that failed was a small registration plate light on my previous Focus. They just fixed the bulb and gave it a pass certificate. They would not go through ALL the test again surely?

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 AM

The answer is simple, If you run an MOT test station and get your pass rates above the average for the area you are likely to get a visit from the "Mystery Shopper" who will check you out secretly. So if you fail the car on a bulb and replace then you pass it you keep your fail rate up with no cost to your business (they do not have to repeat the whole test) or the customer. Everybody will be happy. If VOSA suspect the integrity of a test station they will stop and check the cars leaving. If they find cars that have been passed either dishonestly or because they have not been tested correctly they can revoke the MOT license. The main thing is that you have passed!!

2006 1.8 Petrol Ghia Silver

Last edited by dodger; 06-17-2012 at 09:19 AM.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Ahhh, I see. It just seemed like a waste of time to me. I'm just chuffed it passed, i thought it might fail on emmisions but it was bang in the middle of the spec.

2nd Cmax - sucker for punishment!

2006 1.8 Duratec-HE (125) LX in Silver
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletree View Post
I had an Mot recently and the only thing that failed was a small registration plate light on my previous Focus. They just fixed the bulb and gave it a pass certificate. They would not go through ALL the test again surely?
You might like to have a look through this

MOT Inspection Manual Jan 2012.pdf

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 11:20 AM

No wonder the MOT takes so long. All the items covered in that pdf are so many I need to make a cuppa and take my time. So it's obvious they just replace and pass because of time otherwise the MOT would take hours if done according to that manual.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers
post #7 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletree View Post
No wonder the MOT takes so long. All the items covered in that pdf are so many I need to make a cuppa and take my time. So it's obvious they just replace and pass because of time otherwise the MOT would take hours if done according to that manual.
About 40 - 45 minutes ought to cover an technician who knows what they are doing. As the booking sytem and certificate issue is all now linked to VOSA by internet they'd know of "short" inspections by when the certs were issued and then check

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page