cmax vs zafira - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

hi i need a family car for 2 adults/2 kids 5yrs and 2yrs and was looking atan 07 or 08cmax 1.6 tdci (110) dpf asdue to it's fuel economy (62 combined mpg!). does anybody know of any potential problems with this model. i was also looking at 1.9 cdtizafiras asdespite these being 70 per year more than the cmaxon road tax and getting15 mpg less (combined),zafiras only needservicing every 40000miles versus the cmax's every12500 miles whichappears largely to offset thefueldifference - any thoughts anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 AM

Id try and get the bigger engine one the 1.6 imo is very underpowered ina cmax (ive got a 2.0 powershift and its really torquey)and has to be worked hard to get anywhere with a car full which would affect fuel consumption plus ive been in a friends Zafira and the ride was not as smooth as a cmax and I felt the bumps more although his was only a 1.6 model. PLus after about 20 mins my back was aching!Guess decisions really I thought vauxhalls were every 20k for service? 40k seems an awful lot for oil and filters to last?Anyway cant really comment on servicing as mines on motability but like anything shop around I guess cos every garage has different labour rates etc

Overall though id have a ford over vauxhall especially for long journeys.
Edited by: Dan

2010 Ford Cmax Titanium 2.0 TDCI 140bhp Powershift with electric boot.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 AM

My Zafira (1.6) likes to drink oil and lots of it. The Flex 7 seating is very clever and you do get a fair amount of room in the back with all seats down. I would not like to ride for too long in the Zafira's last row of seats, they do not look that comfy to me!

I'm still waiting on delivery on my C-Max, so I can't offer a direct comparison!

No longer waiting for my (Company Supplied/leased) 2011 C-Max 1.6TDCi, Titanium, Manual, in Midnight Sky, with the city Pack

post #4 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Just changed over from Zafira to Cmax after 8 years of ownership. I had a 1.8 petrol and couldn't fault it with 2 kids for versatility/ loads of space in boot and even more with seats down and kids loved to be in the rear seats when family/ party/ school runs meant carrying 7 up.
Servicing was 20000 miles but always - or 12 months, whichever is sooner. as kids are now 10 and 14 rear seats don't give the leg room any more and tax was 235.00 so it had to go.
I have found the 1.6 TDCi to be just as powerfull and low down torque good and tax at 90.00 was a bonus. You have to look at your needs at this timeand I find the Cmax fits perfectly and still gives me the large car/ visibility/ high seat position I want.

2008 (58) 1.6 TDCi Zetec Ocean Blue with Privacy Glass
post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Having had 2 Zafiras from the introduction of the model and I was very happy with them both; 2.2 petrol manual. The present model did not however impress me at all. The flex 7 seating seems clever, but I found the boot space to be a bit short if you slide the seats forward, though when seating 5 it was a good size. I have to agree with the ride as the Grand C-Max is way superior in ride and handling the 2litre diesel engine is my choice too and it has a lot of punch 50mph at 1400 rpm is wonderful too. I have driven the present model Zafira, 1.9 diesel for over 60 miles on various roads and though it pulled okay I found it noiser. Oil consumption was something that was quite high with the Zafira, though as I said mine were petrol models.

I cannot comment on the previous C-Max except to say have a look on this site as there is a lot of good information here and the experience of the members is wide.

Grand C-Max 2.0TDCI Titanium Colorado Red
Tinted windows - bi-xenon/washers - 17\" Wheels
Winter pack
Sony Gps SD Hands free - reversing camera - parking sensors - key free
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 AM

Hi All - 1st post for me as a newbie
Have just got our C Max having switched choice from a Zafira. We have 3 children and found rear space good. Getting 52mpg average but yet to do a proper motorway run or be fully loaded.
Have enjoyed reading all the v helpful Q & A's on this forum.

1.6 tdci Zetec
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 05:03 PM

When I bought the max, the other choice was a zaf!
I got a dealer to park a max and a zaf next to each other and the zaf is significantly bigger! I had a go at parking a zaf in the relatively short bays at work and the nose really poked out!!

2005 Focus C-Max 1.8 Petrol Ghia + Sony 6 disc, 2007 tail lights, Led bulbs all over and HID front fogs.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 PM

The real comparison, in the Vauxhall range, for the C-Max is the Meriva and the Grand C-Max is the true comparison with the Zafira. The Zafira has also increased in length from the original model and is due to do it again with the next model.

Grand C-Max 2.0TDCI Titanium Colorado Red
Tinted windows - bi-xenon/washers - 17\" Wheels
Winter pack
Sony Gps SD Hands free - reversing camera - parking sensors - key free
post #9 of 11 Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 AM

Don't bank on doing over 60mpg[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

2009 (59) 110 ZETEC -
post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 AM

Potential problems on the 1.6 diesel?? Just have a look around this site!
But then you also ought to have a look around the equivalent Zafira site, and take a view.

A few comments...
The Zafira has a large and deep (high) boot - the C-max boot is just deep - much smaller in area than a focus estate for example.
Remember that the middle seats in the Zafira are fixed to each other.
Will you ever need the rear seats (No.s 6 & 7)?
I think the Zafira has a slightly softer, more comfortable ride, if I remember correctly, though the driving position is more bus-like.

2004 (54 plate) 1.6 TDCi Ghia auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page