C max tyres - Page 2 - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 Old 09-18-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Doesn't show that on iPhone, did notice it when I logged on computer, I'm going to pump tyres up tomorrow up to 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 09-19-2011, 11:10 AM

There are some promoting keeping your tyre pressure at the high end pressure wise, to aid economy. It was advised for me to keep the pressures front and back the same as with the Deflation Detection System it would be better.

Grand C-Max 2.0TDCI Titanium Colorado Red
Tinted windows - bi-xenon/washers - 17\" Wheels
Winter pack
Sony Gps SD Hands free - reversing camera - parking sensors - key free
post #13 of 33 Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
I am NOT a fan of ultra low profile tyres. Some years ago my Brother in law had a Mondeo estate 2.0 TDdi Ghia with standard steel wheels and trims. I was quite impressed with it and went to look at a 2.0 Ghia X 130 TDCi car at a local sales lot. This car had been fitted with non standard ST alloy wheels and, to the salesman, this was a plus point which he went on about endlessly.I test drove the car and was immediately aware of a SERIOUS degradation in ride quality. This was coupled with a considerable increase in road noise and a tendency to "tramline" on some poorer surfaces. I mentioned this to the salesman and asked if the car could be fitted with the standard OEM wheels and tyres, and if it was I would be very interested. He once more replied that the ST alloys were a selling point and refused! I cannot understand why anyone would want to go beyond 55 0r 60% on a cooking family car. At that time you could have bought all four replacement standard tyres for the price of one of the ST ones! Add to that the fact that all the spokey ST alloys did in my opinion was to show everybody what a rusty mess the callipers and discs were! Rant over!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec

post #14 of 33 Old 10-13-2011, 06:27 PM
IJG

Very interesting and informative... off to look at winter tyre prices.
thanks

2009 1.8 TDCI
Titanium.Sport Pack 18\" wheels
post #15 of 33 Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 AM

Just changed mine to winter tyres. Nokian 205/55/16 with alloys. These were offered as part of the deal, they would have cost me CHF2000 (about 1425). Snow has already arrived in some areas here, so it's good to be ready. I can give them a bit of a run to settle them down Here we have to have winter tyres, without them you risk a major problem with the insurance let alone the police in the case of an accident.
Using my last set on my prvious car I was able to drive comfortably at 50 mph on a combination of snow/ice, hopefully these tyres will be up to the same.

Winter pack
post #16 of 33 Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Nokian Tyres get a really good write up in http://www.tyretest.com I had tried to source the Nokian WRG2 locally, but none of the local suppliers had it, and said they were difficult to get. I settled for Cooper Weathermasters instead which, at about 40 a tyre less (370 for four fitted & balanced on my 25 2nd hand steel rims.) were a good compromise. I have personal experience of them as my son ran a set on his Xsara 2.0HDi last winter. They are quiet on the road, and provide excellent grip in all conditions, snow and slush in particular. I'd be interested to hear your impression of the Nokians when the "going gets tough"! I personally think that the law in this country should be amended to make at least all season tyres mandatory in the winter months as far too many people are going out, with inappropriately equipped vehicles, getting into difficulty and then blaming the authorities for not doing enough to keep the roads clear. The point that many of them miss is that it's impossible to clear or treat roads which are full of vehicles which have become stuck due to the owners stupidity. It's high time that more people actually took responsibility for their own actions and paid attention to the Authorities when they advise that people do not travel. That goes doubly for "Mr indispensable" with his low profile equipped 4X4!
Rant over!
Regards Colin.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #17 of 33 Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM

Your right about that. I heard a report on road conditions going into Scotland and the drivers complaining that the roads were not clear. It was continuously snowing with no let up. The reporter was sympathetic and asked what they had done to prepare for the trip, knowing that the weather was so bad, and also asked what winter tyres they had put on. Not one had chains with them, okay it was not the highlands, not one had winter tyres, many of them didn't even have a winter coat![img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
I have heard good reports too about the Nokians so if, or when the weather turns to snow, I will "report-back" my opinion.

Winter pack
post #18 of 33 Old 10-21-2011, 02:06 PM

There was a story last year about a woman who became stuck on the M8 between Edinburgh and Glasgow. She made a right song and dance about the fact that she was stranded for 8 hours and had to get home to her kids. The fact was that it was snowing heavily even before she left home and she should have known what to expect. Like your example, she had made absolutely no provision for the conditions. In fact the situation in Central Scotland became that bad that the transport Minister resigned over it. If it had been me, I would have told them it was their own stupid fault for not paying attention to both the forecast and the Police, and asked them what provision they had made for themselves. Nearly every winter up here in Shetland, there will be some idiot with low profiles and fancy alloys on their Merc or BMW who writes it off, then blames the council. The insurance companies should refuse to pay out to people who's cars are damaged and who didn't take precautions. That would focus the mind somewhat! If I am ever hit by a driver who has not put winter tyres on their car I will do my utmost to ensure that it is THEIR insurance which pays out. NOT mine. You wouldn't go out in the snow to play with the kids without putting on your wellies, so why go out in the snow in your car with unsuitable "footwear"?

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #19 of 33 Old 10-21-2011, 03:29 PM

It's not the law in Belgium where I live but it has become law in Luxembourg where I work: you must have tyres "adapted to the conditions" - whether or not you live in Luxembourg. So even if you are a tourist just passing through on the way to the alps and wanting to take advantage of the cheap fuel, be warned, it applies it you too, even though it only takes about 30 minutes on a good day to cross the country!I have to agree with BigBudgie, people should be punished for their stupidity rather than blaming the state. What do they want, the Transport Minister to have a word and make the sun shine?Picked mine up from the dealer yesterday and will probably fit them next weekend. Set of steel wheels and trims, plus 4 Continental Winter Contacts in 205/55 R16 size.

Ordered 30.07, built 05.09.11, delivered 06/10/11, C-Max Titanium 1.6 TDCi 115, blazer blue, First Edition and Easy Driver packs, alarm, cruise, navigation, daytime running lights, spacesaver spare
post #20 of 33 Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM

Given the lack of interest in traffic law enforcement in UK even for the very
obvious and easy items I can't see such things coming to uk. Not yet anyway
especially when they want to extend the MOT to 2 years due to cost

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page