C max tyres - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

What r the best tyres for a c max.
I currently have Goodyear efficient grip they are ok would like better ones thou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-13-2011, 03:07 PM

There are a lot of different opinions and I think it also varies with the engine type as well
I've had various of the Goodyears and found no problems on a 1.6 diesel and noe have the Dunlop fast response on the front

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 33 Old 09-13-2011, 03:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
Have a look at http://www.mytyres.co.uk They supply tyres as well but I find it a great research tool. Select the type of tyre you need and enter the size and a list of available tyres will be shown. Most, but not all of them, will have a link to http://www.tyretest.com where marks are given for grip (Wet, dry and snow), Noise, comfort and wear among others. It's quite informative and allows you to make a short-list of tyres that meet your criteria before approaching a local supplier/fitter.
Hope this helps.
Regards Colin

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec

post #4 of 33 Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum!
I use Uniroyal RainSport 2's (225/40/18) for 'Summer' Excellent in the dry, awesome in the wet.
For winter I swap to Michelin Alpin A4's (205/55/16) for amazing cold weather performance and more importantly for me, safety.
Not a cheap option but never got stuck last winter, just have to stop myself taking full advantage of the extra grip whilst everyone else is struggling!

2008 1.8FF Titanium, Nav Pack, Sport Pack 3, Panther Black
post #5 of 33 Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie

The thing about having two sets of wheels/tyres is that you only wear out one set at a time. I have purchased a set of 2nd hand steel rims and trims at a cost of about 200 when you add in the cost of the steel wheel nuts! Alloy ones won't do! Add on 4 Cooper winter tyres at 78 plus VAT each and you have a serious outlay. However, the plus points are:
1. You have vastly superior performance in Cold, Wet and in particular, Snowy conditions
2. You don't wear out your "Summer" tyres which are totally useless in such conditions anyway.
3. You can clean up your nice alloy wheels and store them somewhere safe where they won't get damaged by salt and grit on the roads in the winter.
4. Because you aren't running the summer tyres you're actually saving them and extending their life.
5. Never was the expression" Horses for courses" more true! Proper winter tyres are AWESOME in comparison to Standard fitment OEM tyres.
6. When you sell on the car, you can offer the wheels to the buyer, at a premium, or, if the car has been replaced like for like, they will do further service on the "new" vehicle.

I have sold the 15" tyres I had for my picasso to a neighbour who has a Fusion. Two had done 1 winter and two had done 4 but still had plenty of tread. He gave me enough to buy 2 tyres for the C-Max. I gave the rims to my son for his Xsara.

In my opinion, some of the tyres now fitted to cars as standard are only there to reduce the CO2 emissions and get the car into a lower tax bracket. Low rolling resistance in my book means low grip and I have had some hairy moments in the wet with Michelin "Energy" tyres to name but one. I consigned one such pair to the skip after an aquaplaning indecent at less than 50 MPH with more than 3mm of tread present!

To conclude, It is my belief that winter tyres should be made mandatory when the average monthly temperature drops below 7 Deg C. This would bring us into line with some European countries and stop the BMW and Merc drivers Bitching that "the Council" haven't done enough to clear the roads.

Rant over.

Happy motoring!

Edited by: Big Budgie

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #6 of 33 Old 09-17-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

What psi do you put in 205/55/16
Ford garage said to put in 30psi, most websites say 34psi.
post #7 of 33 Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 PM

I find it best with 36 with the 1.6 diesel

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #8 of 33 Old 09-18-2011, 05:29 AM

Agree, 36 psi all round on my cmax. gave average of 72mpg last week. telford to london to telford to wigan and back to telford.[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img].

2006 1.8 TDCI Style
post #9 of 33 Old 09-18-2011, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

What engine is that with?
post #10 of 33 Old 09-18-2011, 02:28 PM

1.8 diesel, stated at bottom of my post. drove a steady 60-65 all the way.

2006 1.8 TDCI Style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page