Worst for De-Misting - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

My Focus is a nightmare for de-misting.As soon as the temperature drops below warm! I sit for up to 15 minutes and longer, blower on full, Air Con on waiting to see out of the windscreen.ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? ANY CURES?

54 Reg Silver 1.6Tdci Manual 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 AM

Make sure recirc is off, is it just misted up or do you have water droplets forming from so much misting up?

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 PM

Do you not have a heated front screen on your car?
If you are using aircon to demist it should be pretty quick - is the aircon functioning properly?
If none of these thingsare faulty perhaps you need to start looking for wet carpets as it sounds like you may have a water leak somewhere.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Well I don't have any leaks and my air con is working fine, but I have to agree that once the inside of the screen gets wet it do take some time to clear it. Mind you, it's a big screen and it doesn't seem to take any longer to clear than any other car I've owned. De-misting has always been poor, no matter what the car. A heated screen is the obvious answer, but if like me you don't have it, might I suggest kitchen towel.

2004 1.6 petrol LX
post #5 of 7 Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Last Saturday evening, around 10.30pm, foggy,temperature 4 deg C, started engine, heated screens came on automatically (expected), switched on headlights and air blower (external air), aircon came on (expected)glass started to clear but accelerator did nothing! After approx 30 seconds, engine respond ed to accelerator but as I tried toreverse car over slightly raised edgeon thedriveway, I stalled the darn thing. Had to switch off everything, then restart. Ok second time. I presume the alternator and engine were heavily loaded leaving little for the engine management unit!

2008 1.8 Petrol Zetec Privacy Glass Tango Red
post #6 of 7 Old 11-15-2010, 12:31 AM

Couple of things to try,

First clean the inside of the screen really well with proper car glass cleaner.

Remove any fluffy rugs, toys etc that can hold moisture in the car.

When you drive up to park, for the last mile or two make sure the AC is turned off and the heater is on. You want the ventialtion ducting nice and dry. The AC matrix constantly generates condensation which sits there waiting for the engine to start again. If the AC is off for a while before shutting down, the vents will be dry.

If you have the time, throw a bucket of hot water over the windscreen before you get in. Heats up the screen and demists the windows. Ive done this on all the cars I've owned when they have been frosted, or really badly misted up. I keep a 2 litre plastic jug in the kitchen, fill it with hot tap water and throw it on the screen as I leave in the morning, The warmth demists the screen and it stays demisted long enough to get engine heat up on the screen. Never had a crack or damge in 15 years.

Buy a dehumidifier cartridge for caravans and leave it on the dash when you leave the car. They are electric rechargeable things that hold off condensation in caravans. When they are saturated, you plug them in. They dry out and are ready to use again.

Next to last option, Go out, turn on the car, leave the fans on high and temp on hot, use key two to lock car, go back inside and have a cup of tea while it demists itself. This depends on neighbourhood.

Final option, buy or install a remote strat alarm system, same as last suggestion but more secure!

2005 Focus C-Max 1.8 Petrol Ghia + Sony 6 disc, 2007 tail lights, Led bulbs all over and HID front fogs.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymac

If you have the time, throw a bucket of hot water over the windscreen before you get in. Heats up the screen and demists the windows. Ive done this on all the cars I've owned when they have been frosted, or really badly misted up. I keep a 2 litre plastic jug in the kitchen, fill it with hot tap water and throw it on the screen as I leave in the morning, The warmth demists the screen and it stays demisted long enough to get engine heat up on the screen. Never had a crack or damge in 15 years.

Please don't do this. You may be okay for a while doing it buteventually there will be a really bad unequal expansion of the glass (possibly exaggerated by a chip in the screen)and it will be CRAAACK -new screen time.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page