Tyre wear - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-17-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
jim

Hi all, just thought I would sign up to the club and give you the benefit of my experience regarding the issue of quick wearing tyres. I have a 56 plate TDi which I bought 2nd hand with 63k on it. It was on its 4th set of front tyres as I had all the service history to show. This was a motability car so went to the dealers for regular servicing and checks. The first set of tyres were changed at 9k and thereafter roughly 12/13k. I took it for it's first MOT in November and the garage, after passing the mot with no problems or faults, informed me that the front tyres were low. These were Michelins with approx 1.7 mm on them. I declined to change them at this time but monitored them using my own tyre gauge. I got another 4k out of them before changing them for some Falkens after reading reccs on the web. Never heard of them before so will see how they do. The Michelins I replaced had then done 27k, not bad at all.
My point is that I sometimes wonder whether people just take it for granted that the tyres need changing on the say so of the garage. Certainly Vospers dealership changed tyres on this car when there was still 2mm + on them. If your not paying then I suppose no one bothers but I would never take the word of the people who are looking for the sale. Get yourself a tyre gauge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-18-2011, 12:52 AM

I cannot imagine how you got 4k out of a tyre with only 1.7mm tread depth when the legal minimum is 1.6mm. that's 0.1mm in 4k? Sorry don't believe it, especially on a front wheel drive diesel. And 1.6mm is the absolute legal minimum, by which time grip will have almost disappeared, especially in the wet.

2007 C-Max 2.0l Zetec auto in Panther Black
post #3 of 5 Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Rafletcher, I would totally agree with you 0.1mm in 4k!!!!!!

56reg Focus c-max 2.0 tdci ghia

Tango metallic sony 6 disc player front & rear parking sensors,privacy glass,climate control

post #4 of 5 Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote - "The Michelins I replaced had then done 27k" - unquote - this is quite outstanding as have to nurse my 1.6 diesel turbo to get 12k and that includes observing all the limits.
One point though is that the cornering is so good I tend to wear the edges first even with wheels set fine. Just one more point, why did I have to pay 96 quid to have all the tracking setup on all four wheels done on my first service, and this was with the tyres fine at the time?
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOYDG
Just one more point, why did I have to pay 96 quid to have all the tracking setup on all four wheels done on my first service, and this was with the tyres fine at the time?
Ford warranty is 1Yr or until the First Service for Tracking if no obvious damage is apparent, too many Dealers do not adhere to this. I was told that Tracking was chargeable on my wife's Fiesta despite it having only done 1700Miles, I spoke to their Warranty Supervisor who advised me of the policy stated above. Needless to say, I re-booked there and then to have the C-Max done at 11000 miles![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
I will say though, 96 is excessive, and if you were not advised of Costs or asked for your consent then I'd personally refuse to cough up the hard earned!!

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page