road noise - Page 2 - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 03-26-2010, 03:42 PM

My rear wheel bearing noise could be heard from around 10mph up to around 60 after that all the other noise blocked it out. There was no play and it past an MOT OK. I was sure it was a bearing as it was sort of a rumble. Cost me 125.40 for a new hub assembly and 43.20 to fit it all plus vat. As it was only on one side it made it easier to decide it was a bearing, if both sides where to start making a noise at the same time it would be harder to confirm I expect. Pity you cant change just a bearing instead of a whole hub it would be cheaper.

54 2.0 TDCI Ghia non DPF Tonic Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM

My Titanium is running on Continental 205-50-R17-93W tyres which I think are the original tyres.
On a road near where I live there is an experimental stretch of road with rumble strips in two strips about 20-30 yards long and the C max is quieter over these than my Jag was.

Wish I could help more

Ford C Max 2008 1.8ltr Titanium
with 17\" alloys
post #13 of 37 Old 03-27-2010, 02:28 AM

is this the Fleet experimental road rumble strips?
i think louder music may cure any road noise issues.
foo fighters to the rescue!!

actually wondering if the extra space, volume, of the back end of a c-max has a resonance all of its own making boomy boom boom road noise?

have gotten used to the noise but will watch this space................

Doris.
2ltr TDCI Ghia 56 reg.

post #14 of 37 Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM

There the ones on Reading Road North.

Ford C Max 2008 1.8ltr Titanium
with 17\" alloys
post #15 of 37 Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 PM

"actually wondering if the extra space, volume, of the back end of a
c-max has a resonance all of its own making boomy boom boom road noise?"

I think it has a lot to do with it. I had the rear seats folded up yesterday and the amount of noise increased considerably.

Tony

2009 2.0 Tdci Zetec
post #16 of 37 Old 03-29-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I have already discussed the subject of the boot enhancing the road noise it is a large box shaped boot I have been running the car without the parcel shelf,,I'll replace it tomorrow see if that makes a difference,,,somebody stated also that they thought there was a window slightly open the wind noise is caused by the tops of the front doors sometimes its there it must depend on which way the wind is also blowing, I read about this in an article which was written by some critic. At first I thought I was hearing things but it seems it is just a design fault[img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]
post #17 of 37 Old 03-29-2010, 01:10 AM

I`ve got some sound proofing material & I`m thinking of sticking a strip to the body above the rear doors,this may give a good seal & stop the wind like noise.
Let you know how I get on.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #18 of 37 Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

This wind noise is caused by the tops of the front doors it is also worse depending on which way the wind direction is,,this I read in an article written by a critic this is just a design fault with the vehicle it's something you'll have to learn to live with[img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img]
post #19 of 37 Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 AM

dear member
i have just taken ownership on mobility of brand new 2litre petrol auto and no road noise at all even at 110!! my lasy new c-max was noisy after 58 mph. looks like you will have to buy a new one or. someone told me it's the tyres, who knows? check tyre pressure etc
all the best
hal13

post #20 of 37 Old 05-30-2010, 02:49 AM

WhenI bought my 58 plate 1.8 TDCi it was running Continental 205-50-R17 93w9 same as Wokka34, I experienced the road noise from 15 mphupwards. The dealermechanic could hear the noise and checked rear bearings for wear but they were fine.They put the noise down to the low profile tyres. After 16,000 miles on the clock I had to replace the rubber ( gulp I got 42k out of a set of Michelins Pilots on my Focus!) I changed to Dunlop and have the problem still exists.
I only have the repair kit in the boot and no spare I would be keen to see if the spare would provide any extra sound absorbtion.

Wilso1909

2008, 1.8 TDCi Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page