road noise - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

I have had my c-max for six months now and the thing that bothers me the most is the road noise at first I thought it was the rear wheel bearings but I've checked them out and also run the car with a set of tires off of my mates Focus but the annoying noise is still there it's just constant. Plus there is also wind noise from the top of the front doors,,,I owned a Mitsubishi Space Gear for eleven years and never experienced noise like I have with this C-max...I had to get rid because I was only getting about 25 to the gallon, now the C-max 16 TDci is averaging about 55 plus to the gallon can't fault it there but the noise is driving me bonkers I'll have to dig out my old heavy metal music...Does any body else think that the Ford C-Max is a noisy car to drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 PM

Yes, I find mine noisy. Had put it down to the tyres, but ..........

2009 2.0 Tdci Zetec
post #3 of 36 Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 PM

Mine was noisy and I thought a rear wheel bearing was going. It was due a MOT so I thought they would pick it up then, but nothing on the report. Took it back a week later and yes a wheel bearing was causing the noise got it changed, was a bit pricey as the whole hub comes as a unit but now much quieter 66,000 miles.

Ed

54 2.0 TDCI Ghia non DPF Tonic Blue

post #4 of 36 Old 03-25-2010, 05:13 AM

I found changing the rear pads and cleaning all the muck out made our rear quieter

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #5 of 36 Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice I cleaned the drivers side pads because they didn't release properly but OK now this hasn't helped the noise...My next step is the bearings although there's no play there they might be dry I've tried different tires but no joy[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
post #6 of 36 Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 PM

Sorry to hear you are suffering with road noise.

Cant help much but check the tyre pressures are correct. Perhaps a word regarding whether you have the right tyres on with your ford dealer.

My 1.8 petrol Titanium running on 17" alloy wheels is smooth and quiet. I had a X type Jag before and the C max is smoother more comfortable and quieter.

Ford C Max 2008 1.8ltr Titanium
with 17\" alloys
post #7 of 36 Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 AM

I am also concerned by the noise from the back and hadwheels looked at during the MOT. No play and no bearing noise which brings me to the tyres. I have 17" rims and wonder what tyres are on your car wokka34?

Doris.
2ltr TDCI Ghia 56 reg.
post #8 of 36 Old 03-26-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Hello thanks for the reply
I am running on 205's on 16in rims these are all weather tires my old tires were same size but low profile summer tires I have since tried the same size tire but a dunlop off of my mates ford but they all have the same effect too much road noise. My next step is to probably speak to ford,,thanks for the advice if that doesn't work I'll change the bearing's

post #9 of 36 Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Hello
Tire pressures OK what make of tire are you using I've now tried 3 different types all with the same effect. Many people seem to be having this problem at first I thought it must just be me but I work for a transport firm and one of the mechanics even pointed it out to me after I gave him a lift to work. He checked the rear wheel bearings no play but as he said that doesn't mean much could mean that they are starting to run dry...I just can't believe how much tire noise there is

post #10 of 36 Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 PM

I keep hearing a noise as if the n/s rear window is slightly down,but it`s not.I don`t get too much tyre noise though.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page