C-Max Owners Club banner

road noise

26K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Larry J 
#1 ·
I have had my c-max for six months now and the thing that bothers me the most is the road noise at first I thought it was the rear wheel bearings but I've checked them out and also run the car with a set of tires off of my mates Focus but the annoying noise is still there it's just constant. Plus there is also wind noise from the top of the front doors,,,I owned a Mitsubishi Space Gear for eleven years and never experienced noise like I have with this C-max...I had to get rid because I was only getting about 25 to the gallon, now the C-max 16 TDci is averaging about 55 plus to the gallon can't fault it there but the noise is driving me bonkers I'll have to dig out my old heavy metal music...Does any body else think that the Ford C-Max is a noisy car to drive

#3 ·
Mine was noisy and I thought a rear wheel bearing was going. It was due a MOT so I thought they would pick it up then, but nothing on the report. Took it back a week later and yes a wheel bearing was causing the noise got it changed, was a bit pricey as the whole hub comes as a unit but now much quieter 66,000 miles.

Ed

#6 ·
Sorry to hear you are suffering with road noise.

Cant help much but check the tyre pressures are correct. Perhaps a word regarding whether you have the right tyres on with your ford dealer.

My 1.8 petrol Titanium running on 17" alloy wheels is smooth and quiet. I had a X type Jag before and the C max is smoother more comfortable and quieter.

#8 ·
Hello thanks for the reply
I am running on 205's on 16in rims these are all weather tires my old tires were same size but low profile summer tires I have since tried the same size tire but a dunlop off of my mates ford but they all have the same effect too much road noise. My next step is to probably speak to ford,,thanks for the advice if that doesn't work I'll change the bearing's

#9 ·
Hello
Tire pressures OK what make of tire are you using I've now tried 3 different types all with the same effect. Many people seem to be having this problem at first I thought it must just be me but I work for a transport firm and one of the mechanics even pointed it out to me after I gave him a lift to work. He checked the rear wheel bearings no play but as he said that doesn't mean much could mean that they are starting to run dry...I just can't believe how much tire noise there is

#11 ·
My rear wheel bearing noise could be heard from around 10mph up to around 60 after that all the other noise blocked it out. There was no play and it past an MOT OK. I was sure it was a bearing as it was sort of a rumble. Cost me £125.40 for a new hub assembly and £43.20 to fit it all plus vat. As it was only on one side it made it easier to decide it was a bearing, if both sides where to start making a noise at the same time it would be harder to confirm I expect. Pity you cant change just a bearing instead of a whole hub it would be cheaper.

#12 ·
My Titanium is running on Continental 205-50-R17-93W tyres which I think are the original tyres.
On a road near where I live there is an experimental stretch of road with rumble strips in two strips about 20-30 yards long and the C max is quieter over these than my Jag was.

Wish I could help more

#13 ·
is this the Fleet experimental road rumble strips?
i think louder music may cure any road noise issues.
foo fighters to the rescue!!

actually wondering if the extra space, volume, of the back end of a c-max has a resonance all of its own making boomy boom boom road noise?

have gotten used to the noise but will watch this space................

#15 ·
"actually wondering if the extra space, volume, of the back end of a
c-max has a resonance all of its own making boomy boom boom road noise?"

I think it has a lot to do with it. I had the rear seats folded up yesterday and the amount of noise increased considerably.

Tony

#16 ·
I have already discussed the subject of the boot enhancing the road noise it is a large box shaped boot I have been running the car without the parcel shelf,,I'll replace it tomorrow see if that makes a difference,,,somebody stated also that they thought there was a window slightly open the wind noise is caused by the tops of the front doors sometimes its there it must depend on which way the wind is also blowing, I read about this in an article which was written by some critic. At first I thought I was hearing things but it seems it is just a design fault

#19 ·
dear member
i have just taken ownership on mobility of brand new 2litre petrol auto and no road noise at all even at 110!! my lasy new c-max was noisy after 58 mph. looks like you will have to buy a new one or. someone told me it's the tyres, who knows? check tyre pressure etc
all the best
hal13

#20 ·
WhenI bought my 58 plate 1.8 TDCi it was running Continental 205-50-R17 93w9 same as Wokka34, I experienced the road noise from 15 mphupwards. The dealermechanic could hear the noise and checked rear bearings for wear but they were fine.They put the noise down to the low profile tyres. After 16,000 miles on the clock I had to replace the rubber ( gulp I got 42k out of a set of Michelins Pilots on my Focus!) I changed to Dunlop and have the problem still exists.
I only have the repair kit in the boot and no spare I would be keen to see if the spare would provide any extra sound absorbtion.

Wilso1909

#21 ·
Don`t know if anyone with later C-Max models have noticed,but both rear doors seem to be lighter than the fronts & maybe that is causing the wind noise.I keep thinking one of the rear windows is down slightly.I also noticed that the rear passenger side door is the worst offender.
MM

#22 ·
I also have new tires but this does not solve the problem I have the spare tire,,,I have noticed that the noise is a lot better when we went on holiday with the boot fully packed,,so the boot acts as a sub woofer when empty..for a modern car I find this to be annoying

#23 ·
MetalMicky08 said:
I keep hearing a noise as if the n/s rear window is slightly down,but it`s not.I don`t get too much tyre noise though.
MM
both my last 2 Fusions and the 06 fiesta that preceded it had a habit of the rear windows opening slightly.
I either noticed through noise or when I soaked the inside of the car when hosing down.
All 3 cars had manual rear windows and I am convinced rear passengers knocking the winders was the cause.
No problem with the Cmax cos they're all electric

#24 ·
I check eack time & they`re fully closed
.I was going to put some soundproofing padding (cut into strips) around the door frame on the body,but decided not to as it would look a real mess cos the padding is silver & I don`t really want to buy some blue paint only to find the padding made no difference.
MM

#25 ·
MM if you want to silence the rear of the car look at putting sound deadening in the doors and boot lining. It only works by reducing vibrations in large flat areas of the car.
As a side point, the newer cars generally come with puncture repair kits that have polystyrene parts in them........wonder if that plays a role in the noise reduction?

#26 ·
Wind noise around seals can be stopped with a light application of silicon grease. The doors almost suck shut after application. That's grease not the more common spray - and don't go overboard or else it will end up on jackets and coats as you climb in. As for road noise, my 1.8 zetec is very quiet. Certainly alot quieter than the brand new Seat Leon I rented on holiday!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.