Real World mpg (2) - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Put new thread on as last was 5 pages and had gone onto air filters and haynes manuals.

Question? Have had my Cmax 6 weeks now and covered about 1600 miles.
When I refuel I re-set the Miles Per Gallon - MPG and this has returned consistently 56 to 58 mpg.
Last fill up I tried a re-set per trip and this can be as high as 61/62 mpg

Which way is correct? Per trip or average over the tank of fuel.

Any thoughts would be welcome, thanks.

2008 1.6 tdci Zetec Ocean Blue with Privacy Glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 03-14-2011, 02:03 AM

Per tank will give the mpg average over the full tank including warm up and idle etc.

Trip reset after warming will be better as lots of fuel is used in the warm up period.

Neither is better, just different.

I reset mine at the petrol station each tank full. I know roughly what to expect so any change over time will be clear even if the price rises even more.

2005 Focus C-Max 1.8 Petrol Ghia + Sony 6 disc, 2007 tail lights, Led bulbs all over and HID front fogs.
post #3 of 41 Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 AM

In the various cars I've owned, I've alwayscalculatedMPG over a full tank, but have done it manually rather than relying on the car's figures.
I've not had chance yet to compare my C-Max's computer to the 'real world' figure, but other cars have tended to over estimate.

post #4 of 41 Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM

It may sound like a cop-out , but I use both full tank (total average consumption) Then calculate from trip the consumption when travelling. That way I have the worst and best results. The difference from new engine to a well run-in engine is astounding, so in most cases fuel consumption improves with age[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Grand C-Max 2.0TDCI Titanium Colorado Red
Tinted windows - bi-xenon/washers - 17\" Wheels
Winter pack
Sony Gps SD Hands free - reversing camera - parking sensors - key free
post #5 of 41 Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all who replied

I will stick to re-set after a tank fill up as stated andthis should give a better mpg.

Regards

StuG

2008 1.6 tdci Zetec Ocean Blue with Privacy Glass
post #6 of 41 Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 AM

I forgot to say that I have a spreadsheet to calculate the MPG if you would like it.
Alternatively, there's also the Fuellywebsite which is quite good... well, apart from not having a C-Max option, which means you have to set it up manually at first.

post #7 of 41 Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 PM

Mine seems pretty good, I was used to my st170 which if it did 30mpg that was good.I havea new clutch kitand collected from the garage and driving on rural back roads to b roads I was impressed. Its just had a major service and it has averaged 45mpg driving it economically. I reset the computer before leaving as whenever its been in the garage its mpg has lowered etc.

(1.8 ZETEC)

To the average driver \'safe\' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver \'safe\' is not being vunerable to an accident.

www.advanced-driving.co.uk ------- www.roadar.org.uk
post #8 of 41 Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 AM

I will be picking up my new (used) C Max next week having driven SEATs for the last few years. I did like and have got used to the VW standard twin computer system; one of which can only be reset manually and the other resets after the ignition has been switched off for a couple of hours. Both measure instant and actual mpg hence achieving the ability to show fuel consumption both short term and over a long period. My only moan was that the reported mpg figures were somewhat optimistic!
On a slight digression, the system also monitored such items as fluid and fuel levels and issued warnings when these got low, as well as service intervals.
I am disappointed that the Ford system is nowhere near as sophisticated as I am sure it has saved my engine by warning of low oil levels on a number of occasions when on long runs. I guess I will just have to go back to the manual methods!

Having said that, I just hope that I will see fuel consumption figures somewhat related to the claims....[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Andy

And3T

Black 59 Plate 1.6L TDCi Titanium/Privacy/Parking/USB
post #9 of 41 Old 03-24-2011, 01:33 PM

Having had two company passats one of which spent more time in the garage than i did driving it I would say that the fact the ford computer tells you less is a small price to pay. I found the passat one always reported about 10% than I was getting and the diesels on long life oil (which is about 13 a litre for vw) used around 800ml to 1litre for every 1500 odd miles on 2.0 140bhp. The 1.9 105 was much better but less performance.These are problems i have not come across when driving ford tdci.

Going forward I think the new generationof cmax and focus etc will have more comprehensive trip computers much like vag ones.

(1.8 ZETEC)

To the average driver \'safe\' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver \'safe\' is not being vunerable to an accident.

www.advanced-driving.co.uk ------- www.roadar.org.uk
post #10 of 41 Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 PM

This is my first post

I have just brought my 2007 (57)2.0 Zetec Auto from my local Ford garage (ex Mobilty), so I cannot give any MPG figures yet, but I always use a spreedsheet to work out fill mpg, total average mpg, fuel price per litre/gallon. If you use this method you would need to fill up and ignore the cost and amount of fuelfor calculation purposes, but use the this fill mileage reading as the starting point for your calculations.

I part exchanged my 1999 Ford Galaxy 2.3 Auto Ghia for my C-Max (it was going to cost a lot of money to keep on the road for another year!). This I brought in 2007 and the start mileage was 95462 and the part exchange mileage was 107726 and the average mpg over this time was 24.03, the best fill mpg was 30.65 (mainly motorway driving at max 65mph), the worst fill was 16.71 (caused by a lot of very short journeys).

I will post my C-Max mpg figures when I have covered a few more miles, but this could take some time as I do not cover many miles, as can be seen by howmiles I did in my Galaxy.

Built date 5th December 2007 C-Max 2.0 Zetec Petrol Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page