Potential Disaster - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Potential Disaster

Hello folks, I'm a newbie to this place.

Just bought a 55 plate 1.6 auto derv model. Not entirely sure it's running right. Bought it from a dealer local to me, seemed to suit my requirements, was ok on the 2 mile left turn only test drive. It seemed a bit noisy but for 80k miles, it's hardly going to be perfect.

So I collected the car on Friday evening, have done a couple of hundred miles in it since and so far it's had a flat spot when booting it to motorway speed, transmission warning light has been on and off, it jerks like a bucking bronco when trying to reverse park changing from drive to reverse etc and it's making 2 different whirring noises.

The garage have given me a 1k capped 6 month warranty and he's said he'll take it back for investigation tomorrow. Still not sure what the faults may be and surely if it's transmission based then the 1000 limit will be shot straight down in flames?

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problems might be? All help appreciated. Apart from the likes of 'you've bought a nail' lol

Best wishes,
Miss Badja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Just to confirm this is the 1.6 diesel with the Constantly Variable Automatic transmission (CVT) (Model Number CFT 23)

If so then it is quite likely the gearbox itself and could well need a whole change at around 4,000.

If the dealer didn't mention that there was a fault and didn't adjust the price accordingly I would try to invoke the sales of goods act as to a fault not being pointed out at point of sale and get a refund as fast as possible

Do not agree to let them have a try at repairing it because in most cases up to now the spare parts are not available

Sale of Goods Act 1979 Additional Rights Consumer Cases.pdf

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else

Last edited by Richard G; 05-20-2012 at 01:32 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
They make much ado about putting health warnings on ciggy packets. I reckon CVT autos should have them too! "Warning!! This could damage your bank balance"! LOL! Seems to work OK in some applications though.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec

post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Well, as suspected, it's a disaster. Total gearbox failure this afternoon. Stuck in Drive and going nowhere. AA have collected us and we have dropped the car outside the dealer's forecourt with the AA recovery ticket stuck on the dashboard. The dealer seemed quite happy to take a call on a Sunday, until he realised it was to ask for the money back. Then he was a complete a*** and refused to discuss it any further until Monday morning when he opens. Not a happy bunny.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

And thank you for the replies folks.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 AM

If you bought it on Friday, and it's totally bu***erd two days later, just stop the cheque! It won't have cleared yet! Problem solved! I'm not the best person to be writing here because I hate auto gearboxes with a passion. I have never yet driven one that I could control as precisely as a car with a clutch when parking or whatever. Also the fuel consumption penalty takes some living with. Perhaps the modern twin clutch jobs are better, but it seems to be an expensive route to take, just because you can't be bothered to use your left leg!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Absolute disgrace that dealer. If I were you I would make such a song and dance about this. It's not good enough you just getting your money back. It's the hassle and call out of the AA which is a pain also. You should get your money back and more in my book. A con artist at his finest I think that dealer.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Like everyone posting here on this topic i agree a total disgrace, I don't know whether big budgie's idea of stopping the cheque was tongue in cheek, but if you did pay by check don't stop it as really this constitutes a contract of payment for services or goods received, even if the service or goods are not what you expected, your redress will either be with the supplier or through the small claims court, i was reading on the internet a case where someone stopped a cheque because they werent happy with some blinds that they had fitted next thing they received was county court proceedings citing bounced cheque.

56reg Focus c-max 2.0 tdci ghia

Tango metallic sony 6 disc player front & rear parking sensors,privacy glass,climate control
post #9 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Hmmmmmm! Yes, You're right Anthony! I'd forgotten that aspect of it, but it would take a very brave man to pursue someone through the courts for payment for a car that had ceased to work two days after it was purchased! A bit different from "I just didn't like it", or whatever. I seem to remember that Monty Pythons "Parrot" Sketch dealt, somewhat light heartedly, with a similar situation!
for anyone who wants a laugh!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page