Non Starter - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi. Having owned my 1.8 Zetec since 2004 it is a wonder I have not come across this website earlier.
I have recently in the last couple of months had problems starting the engine. It turns over, makes like it is going to start but just dies. When I eventually get it going there is usually a fair bit of "smoke" from the exhaust which quickly disappears. I have also noticed a fair bit of moisture on the floor under the exhaust pipe at the rear after the trouble starting. Normal driving is OK and this problem has only occurred in the last couple of months. Anyone got any ideas or similar experiences they can tell me about?

2003 1.8 Petrol ZETEC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 AM

Hello and welcome

2005 1.6 tdci zetec (90) auto

colin
post #3 of 22 Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie
It turns over, makes like it is going to start but just dies. When I eventually get it going there is usually a fair bit of "smoke" from the exhaust which quickly disappears. I have also noticed a fair bit of moisture on the floor under the exhaust pipe at the rear after the trouble starting.
Is it petrol or diesel
What colour is the smoke and
Do you presume that the "moisture" has come out of the exhaust tail pipe

I'm just wondering if you have some excess water in the fuel tank

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else

post #4 of 22 Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 AM

You may have a bunged up fuel filter or an air lock in the fuel system.
That could explain the moisture.
MM

MetalMicky ( Mike)

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
post #5 of 22 Old 06-02-2010, 04:14 AM

Or, is it Excessive cranking condensing themoisture in the Atmosphere as it not being evaporated with combustion due to non start?????

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks for the possible causes of the starting problem I am having. it is nice to know there are people out there with good knowledge of these cars! it is a petrol engine and the 'smoke' is a blueish colour. Yes the moisture is right under the exhaust tail pipe. How would the excess moisture gather in the fuel tank, and is it a problem that is easily remedied? I had wondered if the head gasket had gone and was allowing water into the engine which would cause problems starting but i have checked the oil and that is very clean. someone has also suggeted that the fuel filter could be clogged. How often should the fuel filter be changed?

2003 1.8 Petrol ZETEC
post #7 of 22 Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie
I had wondered if the head gasket had gone and was allowing water into the engine which would cause problems starting but i have checked the oil and that is very clean.

Check the colour of the coolant and look for any signs of oil contamination.
Blue smoke on start upcould indicate some engine wear - oil bypassing the valve guide seals or piston rings. Whitish smoke would be more indicative of a head gasket and I would think the water level would be dropping unlesss there was oil contamination in it. Take off the oil filler cap and look for signs of white mayonaisse sludge. This can indicate water contamination in the oil, but can occur in a car that only does short runs.
How is the oil level?
Not an exhaustive list of checks but may assist before you go down the garage route.

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Do you get any smoke at all on accelleration once the engine is warm?
what sort of mieage has the car covered?

57 Titanium 1.6 110 DPF, X Sport pack, panoramic roof,Sony 6 CD changer with voice control bluetooth.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-02-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

I have not seen any smoke on acceleration when the engine is warm, just on the occasions when it would not start. Car has done 62000 miles.

2003 1.8 Petrol ZETEC
post #10 of 22 Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 PM

When you get the smoke on startup is this after you have been pushing the gas pedal to get it started? You may have flooded the engine slightly in which case you may get smoke when it starts as the fuel hasnt burnt properly.

04 Focus C max 1.8 Zetec Panther Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page