new C max windscreen and poor mpg - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

I took delivery of the New 11 plate C Max on 3rd March this year.

The windscreen developed a stress crack right down the centre of the windscreen. Close inspection showed no stone damage whatsoever. When Ford customer services were approached for a replacement free of charge, they stated that as the car was more that one month old and had done over 1000 miles they would not replace. However, after some negotiation and that I had bought several Ford cars over the years, they agreed to replace the windscreen on a goodwill basis at no cost or if I paid 5% of the cost then if it happened again they would replace again at no cost. after three weeks I still await the return of my car and am using a courtesy car in the meantime.

The windscreen had to be sourced from Germany and has taken almost two weeks to get here along with an ill fitting trim on the driver side dashboard next to the front quarterlight. Ford state that these are not readily in stock as this is a New C Max.

I also did an MPG check on a 700 mile round trip and got just over 40 MPG which I was not best pleased about as they advertise in excess of 60 MPG. I was driving well within the speed limit and used the cruise control as much as possible. the local garage stated that the 66 MPG is only a guide and there was no guarantee that this will be achieved dependent upon the driver. I do not have a heavy right foot but do expect better that 40 MPG from a 1.6 diesel engine!

I am not best pleased with Evans and Halshaw and their customer service either at this time. Hopefully I will get my car back tomorrow - I will keep you updated on this . Anyone else had similar problems?

Edited by: Bluenose

March 2011 New Ford C-Max Titanium Midnight Sky 1.6 (115 BHP) Duratorq TDCi Stage V + DPF manual six speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Dear BN

I similarly havea new 1.6diesel (grand)but fortunately have not suffered the cracked windscreen. On the mpg front I have been monitoring it carefully, and so far have managed about 44mpg. It was 41 mpg on he first tank, and 42 on the second, and so far about 46mpg on the third. Having said that I have been driving like a granny recently!!! (please excuse the sexist and ageist metaphor) The best mpg seems to be achieved with quite low revseven for a deisel(1500-1800)in 6th (and not in cruise),which iswell below 70mph.
I think it is a little disappointing on that front, but I am hoping for some improvement when the engine finally shakes down (by about 5K miles+). I may however see if I can improve on mpg by tuning and airfilters as suggested bysome of the regular postersbut I am doing research on this at the moment and will hold off until end of first year or similar. I could also of course try and make my family smaller, though this is likely to be more expensive than a poor mpg!

red grand titanium, 1.6 TDCi, with lots of buttons
post #3 of 27 Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Thx TPH - still havent got my car back yet and Evans & Halshaw have yet again failed to keep me in picture as to when I will get it. They did not know this morning whether they had booked the windscreen people for today or not (they received the new windscreen from Germany last Wednesday) .....I'll let you know tomorrow what has transpired.

March 2011 New Ford C-Max Titanium Midnight Sky 1.6 (115 BHP) Duratorq TDCi Stage V + DPF manual six speed

post #4 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

I finally got my car back at midday today, however the quarterlight replacement dashboard insert is no better than the one it replaced!- I'm going back tomorrow to see them.

I registered my complaint with the service manager about the abysmal service they have provided over the last 3 weeks and 2 days.

post #5 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Its worth bearing in mind that new cars need time to run before a better MPG can be expected i'd say from about 7000 onwards.. I have an 04 plate which will do 50+ mpg and its the 2.0 tdci version. If a main dealer is not providing you with good service it may be worth seeking some legal advice (Trading Standards).... Hope you get things sorted.. My Father in law has a 1.6 tdci on a 07 and he's getting 45mpg round town
post #6 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks C-M

Got the car back but the Driver side Dash insert isnt sitting in the same way as the passenger side, it's OK but certainly not 100%

I take your point about running the car in for further MPG checks. However my last car, a new Audi 1.9 tdi avant returned good MPG consistent with the advertised figures from day 1. I don't want to wait 6 months before I get what Ford advertise in their brochures. Part of my reason for buying this car was the advertised economy figures. If I don't get them then it is sharp practice on Ford's part and contravenes the trade description act.

cheers!

Here is my new car

post #7 of 27 Old 05-06-2011, 11:56 PM

[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img] looks very nice..... Iv had 2 Cmax,s 1.8 petrol and I may as well run a big Jag. on a long run I get 36 and round town 22 mpg!!!!!!
But yes would expect more than 45 with a Tdi

2009 titanium 1.8
post #8 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 04:08 AM

Hi

I agree that
1. your new car looks great
2. you should be getting more than 40mpg

But remember that the mpg figures are not (and haven't been for years) 'manufacturer's claims'. They are done on a test bed by the relevant government agency. All manufacturers will tell you, even before you order a car,that you may not achieve the same figures in the real world.
Also, the test figures will have been obtained with the aircon off (or climate control set to Econ.), and that can make a noticeable difference if you've been using it.

2004 (54 plate) 1.6 TDCi Ghia auto
post #9 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 05:10 AM

I have a 2009 1.6tdci and it has -
1) A DTUK tuning digital box2) K&N filter
To be honest, the MPG is about the same as it was without these additions, but the power is definately up (about 130bhp) which is the equivalent in torque as the 2.0tdci engine.The only thing this has done is made the car better to drive with the extra power and flexibility.Take no notice of these rolling road figures and claims of MPG. You'll spend all your time driving like a learner driver and constantly looking at the rev counter, speedo and MPG computer instead of keeping your eye on the road and enjoying the car. That's what I do now, when the fuel light comes on, fill her up.BTW, I average 40mpg driving 'normally' and that's OK with me. It's theridiculouscost of fuel in this country that annoys me. We'll all be in electric cars soon enough and then the electric companies will be charging silly prices for electric. We (as motorists) have and will never win regardless of what technology brings us. There's simply too much money for theGovernmentsto make and it'll never change. Rant over.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

2009 (59) 110 ZETEC -
post #10 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys - responses appreciated. Would you believe it? Yesterday a tiny stone hit the windscreen and chipped it! It is a tiny chip and low down on the screen well out of my vision, - but it is THERE! I was only doing 45 - 50 and surprised it chipped. It hasn't propagated so it may be OK to leave it however, I was just having a thought , as the screen has heating elements in it, can these be repaired by Auto Windscreens or the like or would it cut through the element wires when being repaired? I need to check with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page