GCMAX USB problem - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-12-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

GCMAX USB problem

I've had my 2011 Grand C-MAX Titanium for 6 months or so and only a couple of days ago tried to use the USB port that's located under the arm rest/centre console.

I inserted a USB stick containing a few MP3s and it would play for a random amount of time (anthing from 10 seconds to several minutes) before displaying on the main display "USB: Invalid File Format".

I've tried 2 different USB sticks with the same symptoms. Removing and then putting the USB stick back doesn't do much unless it's removed, then the radio is powered off and then re-inserted...even after that, you're back to exactly the same symptoms.

The only thing I can find from using Google is that the Sony audio system is picky about what manufacturer of USB stick it works with although it that were true, I'd expect it to simply not work at all rather than work for a random amount of time.

Has anybody else seen this or have suggestions as to a fix/workaround?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Hi George
I will have a look at work and get the info and see if there are any updates for the USB

CMAX 05 reg
2.0 tdci ultima
post #3 of 12 Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

post #4 of 12 Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStark View Post
I've had my 2011 Grand C-MAX Titanium for 6 months or so and only a couple of days ago tried to use the USB port that's located under the arm rest/centre console.

I inserted a USB stick containing a few MP3s and it would play for a random amount of time (anthing from 10 seconds to several minutes) before displaying on the main display "USB: Invalid File Format".

I've tried 2 different USB sticks with the same symptoms. Removing and then putting the USB stick back doesn't do much unless it's removed, then the radio is powered off and then re-inserted...even after that, you're back to exactly the same symptoms.

The only thing I can find from using Google is that the Sony audio system is picky about what manufacturer of USB stick it works with although it that were true, I'd expect it to simply not work at all rather than work for a random amount of time.

Has anybody else seen this or have suggestions as to a fix/workaround?
I am using a cheap 4 G usb stick thats full that we use on shuffle, no issues with playing anything but are you sure that the tracks are on the stick are mp3's the system don't like Flac tracks

12 plate 1.6 Titanium Grand
post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Yes, they're all MP3s of varying bit rates (although that shouldn't matter). I'm an IT consultant so I know my MP3s from my M4As, etc,

It's just so weird that it'll play part of all of the files and then it'll stop for no reason, then not play anything at all. When it's playing, I can skip through all of the tracks on the stick and it'll play them fine, until it stops. I've tried a cheap 4Gb stick and a not so cheap 32Gb stick with exactly the same results.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=GeorgeStark;65522]Yes, they're all MP3s of varying bit rates (although that shouldn't matter). I'm an IT consultant so I know my MP3s from my M4As, etc,
QUOTE]

Is there any relevence to the method by which the MP3 track itself was created or do the "professionally available" MP3 have the same problem

remembering when certain CD players wouldn't play tracks ripped with say Media Player

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #7 of 12 Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStark View Post
Yes, they're all MP3s of varying bit rates (although that shouldn't matter). I'm an IT consultant so I know my MP3s from my M4As, etc,

It's just so weird that it'll play part of all of the files and then it'll stop for no reason, then not play anything at all. When it's playing, I can skip through all of the tracks on the stick and it'll play them fine, until it stops. I've tried a cheap 4Gb stick and a not so cheap 32Gb stick with exactly the same results.
OK thanks just checking in case

12 plate 1.6 Titanium Grand
post #8 of 12 Old 06-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Sounds like it's a fault with the head-unit. I bought a radio CD player for my wife that allegedly played MP3s from memory stick, but that did exactly the same thing as your car head unit - played the first bit of the track then stopped. No matter what I did we could never get it to play back MP3's reliably.

2011 Grand C-Max Titanium
post #9 of 12 Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 PM

Hi George checked to day and there are various updates for USB you need to take it into your dealer and ask the to update the srm

CMAX 05 reg
2.0 tdci ultima
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 AM

Any further updates on this?

I've just got a late 2011 C-Max, and while almost all the mp3's I'm playing off a 16GB Sandisk USB stick work fine, some of the audiobooks give the 'invalid file format' message. No part-playing then stopping. Some work, some don't.

The only difference I can tell is that the stuff that works is music or speech ripped from CD's, whereas the four audiobooks that don't work were bought online and downloaded as mp3's. The audiobooks that were ripped and work are at 128 kbps bit rate and 44 kHz sample rate, and those that don't are at 64 kbps and 44 kHz respectively - but I can't see why this should make any difference for the file format validity, just the output quality.

Any ideas? Many thanks!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page