Cmax had to be low loadered today. - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Just got the major service done and was driving down the dual track and went to change gear and wouldn't.Clutch pedals gone soft although there is fluid in the system. When I started it in gear it shoot forward even with the clutch depressed. I have only every had a clutch slip and this one has just died. Mechanic now says he can't get it in gear and must be clutch and salve cylinder. Total bill 565. Anyone had any experience of the clutch going on a petrol model?

(1.8 ZETEC)

To the average driver \'safe\' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver \'safe\' is not being vunerable to an accident.

www.advanced-driving.co.uk ------- www.roadar.org.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 10:33 PM

Not had any trouble like this with my c-max, but your symptoms are very similar to what happened to my previous mgzs's which have hydraulic clutch systems what happens the seals in the master & slave cylinders fail so as you push the clutch pedal down fluid goes past the seals so your unable to get gears!!

56reg Focus c-max 2.0 tdci ghia

Tango metallic sony 6 disc player front & rear parking sensors,privacy glass,climate control
post #3 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Do petrolcmaxs have hydraulic clutch systems?Garage have quoted for new clutch kit and slave so I might need a new master aswell?Hopefully that will be that for a while.To add insultto injurythe garage who sold me the car 11 days ago are saying they only cover engine and gearbox.
Edited by: jbsportstech

(1.8 ZETEC)

To the average driver \'safe\' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver \'safe\' is not being vunerable to an accident.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 11:03 PM

Hi, Sorry to hear of your issues.Yes, all C-Max's have hydraulic clutches, maybe the Clutch pressure plate has failed, or the Slave cylinder, neither can be accessed without removal of the Gearbox. General good practice is to renew the Slave cylinder when doing the Clutch and vice-versa, as failure of the Slave Cyl after a new clutch can contaminate the new Clutch, and obviously needs the Box out again.Clutch Master cylinders are not unknown to fail, but less likely.Ask the Mechanic to bleed out the Clutch system, not pressing Clutch right to floor as it can go past its travel and render it U/S. If Brake fluid comes out of the Nipple, chances are the Master is OK and you need a Clutch and Slave Cyl.Good Luck!

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Yeh thanks he will do the clutch kit and slve cylinderon monday for me and should have it back end of next week good as new.Going to go all the way to court with the barry trade centre in wales as they are bandits.

(1.8 ZETEC)

post #6 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 PM

I think i would be giving your local trading standards a ring about this issue i wouldn't be accepting their answer of only covering engine & gearbox, this repair isn't going to be cheap & after only having owned the car 11 days you have certain rights goods have to be fit for purpose!!

Tango metallic sony 6 disc player front & rear parking sensors,privacy glass,climate control
post #7 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Yes I knowI have rights but it waste of time.My friend bought a car last year and the engine died on the way back and set him back 3k for a replacement. The guy has now ceased trading.If you go to small claims at your own expense they just wind up their business and start trading in another name. They have told me if I go legal they will fold the business as they can't afford to repair every little thing goes wrong with a car. They said it had a one month warrenty the office of fair trading says it should be 3 months or 3k. Since trading standards arent interested its small claims court. I am writing to them offering the 7 days to make an offer but they have told me that cause I gave them 100 less than they wanted that they can't afford it.The motor trade is full of bandit dealers who do this crap.Other halfs brother bought a rover 25 against my advice and its has died last week after he drove it for two weeks the head is knackered. At least this guy said trade no warrenty however the law says unless its scrap its subject to sale of goods act.

(1.8 ZETEC)

post #8 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 01:57 AM

It gets to me when i hear stories like this, we work hard for our money then these bandits are allowed to get away with legal robbery!!!!!!!!

post #9 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

I have just put toggether a letter giving 7 days to repair it or make a agreeable offer towards the repair. If not I will file the nescessary court paper and instruct cardiff trading standards act on my behalf etc Under the sale of goods act 1974 they should of sold me a car free from defects for a reasonable time ie 11 days and 300 miles is reasonable.I would be happy enough with half the money, as I understand that they work on tight margins etc and 565 would probably end with a loss.i will let you know how i get on.On the plus side work have swapped out my astra 1.6hire car with a meriva 1.7 ctdi 130ps as my fuel card bill was getting high. Its like a rocket ship so rapid its got 300nm .

(1.8 ZETEC)

post #10 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 AM

Sorry to here what happened with your clutch, but this happened to me in my st170 had to replace the clutch and had to do the dual mass fly wheel aswell, it wasa common problem with the st's. check to see the pedal mount under the dash. The cost for replacing the clutch was 170 labour and i sourced the parts from my local auto factors which was around 210. hope you sort this out. good luck with the court case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page