Clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel

I recently had these changed at a garage I've been using for the last 6 years and know to be reliable. The cost was 902. I thought that was a bit steep ,but paid up. Since the change I have asked a few other garages what they charge and one place said 997 and recently Another garage told me he would charge 580. Then I get a call from my Uncle whom I bought the car from and he said he'd been to a local garage and they quoted him 385 for both the clutch and DMF and fitting.
Why the massive difference? I'm bloody boiling.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2012, 06:13 PM

All depends on parts used( genuine or not) and labour prices. My mate runs his own garage, all his techs are Ford trained and his prices are similar to what you have paid. Whats the name of the garage that quoted 385? Thats the price of the cheapest parts I could find and that is for a solid flywheel conversion.

2006 2.0tdci ghia,
post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

D L Autos on Rutland Road, Sheffield. I was looking on Ebay for the clutch and flywheel also and the parts are not cheap, so how they do it for 385 is beyond me.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers

post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
As Steve says, that's probably for a solid flywheel conversion. The DMF acts as a torsional vibration damper and so makes the engine smoother (Theoretically). However I don't think you'd notice a whole lot of difference in everyday running. My old Xantia HDi didn't have one to the best of my knowledge, neither did my HDi Picasso and they were acceptably smooth, to me at least!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #5 of 9 Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Replacement clutch and flywheel for my 06 C-Max cost me about 700 from a local garage. The Dealer wanted 1500!

2011 Grand C-Max Titanium
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 PM

clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletree View Post
I recently had these changed at a garage I've been using for the last 6 years and know to be reliable. The cost was 902. I thought that was a bit steep ,but paid up. Since the change I have asked a few other garages what they charge and one place said 997 and recently Another garage told me he would charge 580. Then I get a call from my Uncle whom I bought the car from and he said he'd been to a local garage and they quoted him 385 for both the clutch and DMF and fitting.
Why the massive difference? I'm bloody boiling.
I have just had a complete dual mass flywheel clutch fitted. I was quoted from the first garage 1400 after speaking with colleagues at work I got a few numbers, prices ranged from 1100 1000 and 900(original FORD parts) I settled for the latter. It would have been cheaper converting it to a normal clutch I was told.

www.idealgift.co

Be friendly, but don\'t get too close, especially to those with bad breathe
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

I have my doubts about the garage at DL Autos. 385 plus fitting will not be with proper parts. I know my garage put the Fords made parts in my car and with warranty so that gives me piece of mind. I do accept though that it's good to look around for better deals.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Beaker
I didn't pay for mine, but the garage had me sign a job note for the dealer saying it had been done. Figure to the dealer was 550.

Edit :: Dude at the garage advised he normally charges about 700 to do the lot. I've had a new DMF, Clutch and Clutch release.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Dmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Budgie View Post
As Steve says, that's probably for a solid flywheel conversion. The DMF acts as a torsional vibration damper and so makes the engine smoother (Theoretically). However I don't think you'd notice a whole lot of difference in everyday running. My old Xantia HDi didn't have one to the best of my knowledge, neither did my HDi Picasso and they were acceptably smooth, to me at least!
The reason they have DMF is so they can build engines and gearboxes weaker as the DMF takes the strain. I would not recomend a SMF as you may find crank problems or gearbox problems further down the vehicles life
plus you tend to find they are very noises on idle.

Does anyone know the make of the clutch on Ford cmax? Your proberly find Race clutch avaible and fittied by a tech for 900 easy and this will take more torque so if you want to remap the vehicle this will be ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page