Changing a brake light - Page 2 - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
B***CKS!! The old DS was a cracking car and years ahead of its time! It was built much like a Rover 2000 (But came FIRST!) with non stressed panels bolted onto a sort of monocoque "frame", bit like an early Renault Espace. What you're thinking about was the programme where he had to change the headlights over from LHD to RHD and had to unbolt the wing to do it. That's how it was designed. It all just came to bits like a big 3D Meccano set! You also had to unbolt the rear wing to change a rear wheel because there was no wheelarch. But there was only one bolt to undo! Brilliant! Anyone who appreciates engineering excellence at it's finest will love the old DS. People say the hydraulic system was overcomplicated and difficult to work on. It wasn't really if you understand hydraulics and just stood back and studied what they did. How much does ONE roadspring cost for a CMax? I'd guess 100. I changed all FOUR suspension spheres on my Xantia (Which still had a similar set-up 50 years later) for less than that, and they were the springs and dampers COMBINED! There are few cars on the planet that were such a milestone in vehicular advancement and it's a crying shame Citroen have all but given up on the technology. There's nothing at all wrong with it, it's just that people prefer to listen to the horror stories which get told by people who neglect to do the maintenance, then wonder why it goes wrong!! Wasn't it always thus!!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 06-09-2012, 05:13 PM

The Megane was on Fifth Gear. Renault said it was so they could make the car safe and get the 5 star safety rating. The presenter pointed out that the Golf was also five star rated and you could change the bulb in an instant, as was shown by the test.

Grand C-Max 2.0TDCI Titanium Colorado Red
Tinted windows - bi-xenon/washers - 17\" Wheels
Winter pack
Sony Gps SD Hands free - reversing camera - parking sensors - key free
post #13 of 19 Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Budgie View Post
B***CKS!! The old DS was a cracking car and years ahead of its time! It was built much like a Rover 2000 (But came FIRST!) with non stressed panels bolted onto a sort of monocoque "frame", bit like an early Renault Espace. What you're thinking about was the programme where he had to change the headlights over from LHD to RHD and had to unbolt the wing to do it. That's how it was designed. It all just came to bits like a big 3D Meccano set! You also had to unbolt the rear wing to change a rear wheel because there was no wheelarch. But there was only one bolt to undo! Brilliant! Anyone who appreciates engineering excellence at it's finest will love the old DS. People say the hydraulic system was overcomplicated and difficult to work on. It wasn't really if you understand hydraulics and just stood back and studied what they did. How much does ONE roadspring cost for a CMax? I'd guess 100!!
I quite like the P6 but preferred the 3.5 with the exra air intake under the grill

I remember the DS21 where you could use the suspension to lift a wheel to change it without a jack

As to taking a car apart to change bulbs I've just found out from scraped knucles that the Mk I Ka is the same. Theres just about room to do dipped beam but Main beam, sidelights or Indicators no way (not for my size hands anyway) wheel arch shield off and H/Lamp out if only as a time saver

As to CMax springs ~ dealer price for a front pair changed was around 400 last December

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else

post #14 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 01:33 PM

You could do that with a Xantia as well if you could be bothered. It was easier to just put the suspension right up then jack the car with a trolley jack under one of the jacking points. Both wheels on that side would then come off the deck at the same time! As to the cost of the springs, I actually meant just the cost for the part.
I remember a mate of mine at work spending a whole day changing a front spring on his Volvo V40. It had cost 96 at the time (Maybe 10 or more years ago!) because it was only available as a dealer part. I had paid 18 each for my (recon) spheres and had changed the front two in 15 minutes! I paid my tame local Mechanic to do the rears on his lift because I couldn't get under the car, even on my ramps, with the suspension de-pressurised. It took him half an hour and cost 20! Best bit was that the Volvo guy took the P**s out of ME for having a Citroen! I told him I wasn't the one who had the skinned knuckles and an empty wallet! LOL!
The Rover 3500S is probably one of my favourite cars of all time, and when I FINALLY get round to getting a "Classic" it will be high on the list. Th P5B Coupe is a lovely car too but as a mate of mine who has one says "It likes a drink"!!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #15 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
The Rover 3500S is probably one of my favourite cars of all time, and when I FINALLY get round to getting a "Classic" it will be high on the list. Th P5B Coupe is a lovely car too but as a mate of mine who has one says "It likes a drink"!!
A 911 with the "Tea Tray" would be my choice

Richard
post #16 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 PM

It's just not "British" old chap! Just won't do! What! Pip Pip! LOL! Seriously though! Can you see somebody with two prosthetic hips getting into one? Actually, getting in mightn't be too bad now I think about it. Getting out (gracefully at least) might be another story!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #17 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
It's just not "British" old chap! Just won't do! What! Pip Pip! LOL! Seriously though! Can you see somebody with two prosthetic hips getting into one? Actually, getting in mightn't be too bad now I think about it. Getting out (gracefully at least) might be another story!
In engineering term British just doesn't come into it. That smooth growl before it's off into the distance

XJS's were just about as bad and you had to remember to duck your head as well

Richard
post #18 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 PM

Probably the worst trip I EVER made anywhere was in the back of an XJS! The pair in the front were havin a great time though! Not me! Probably that's what started the hips off!
I have to admit the 911 is a cracking piece of kit. And I agree with you about the "growl" It's lovely. I admit to having a hankering for a Porche as well, but my choice would be a 944. Maybe not so iconic but probably easier to look after by Ex Marine Engineers! I really like the look of them too. Those big flared wheelarches look the business!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #19 of 19 Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 PM

Changing bulbs

I used one of those old flat cycle spanners to undo the bottom wing nut only needed to break the seal effectively (used the half nut shape at top of spanner) then got my wife with her slimmer hands to undo the bolt and not drop it like I probably would have, all done dusted 15 mins - hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page