C-Max Grand - sliding doors, safe - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

OK new C-max grand parked on my gently sloping downward drive and the sliding door released to close simply slides closed and into place. Same test with a small paperback book placed where fingers may be resting and the books gets one heck of a crunch, I figure this would do a great deal of damage to a hand or leg trapped in the closing gap. Any other views (other than don't do it!)

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

2011 C-Max Grand
1.6 diesel Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM

I'll have a look if there is any mention in any of the safety testing about such things

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 16 Old 11-01-2011, 04:31 PM

Try pulling the door fully open, it'll latch until you pull outer handle, or press button on inside.If you try on a level surface, door will close under its own ( substantial ) weight, I imagine on a slope it'll gain some momentum!!

2010 Titanium 2.0 TDCI Panther Black.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM

I supose it depends on how good (either originally or after several years) the door retention mechanism is

Richard
post #5 of 16 Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses - the latch open is fine I have to say the force that the door closes with on a very minor slope is frightening! and pretty lively on a level surface. I was hoping for improvement after owning MK1 & Mk1 facelift versions of the C-Max this is a big negative. If possible at the weekend I will try to get a video recorded and provide a link.

2011 C-Max Grand
1.6 diesel Manual
post #6 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 AM

Could you not park the other way round if it is a concern? Easiest fix I can see.

post #7 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

what onlyselectparking locations so that the car is facing uphill? bit of a negative for a all purpose family car,especiallyas the auto parking facility it has does not take the slope of the ground into account.
Clearly Ford made the sliding door installation cheap and maybe did not think to stop the door from slamming shut on its own with such a brutal force (is does a fair crunch when parked on thehorizontal).It needs dampers to slow the last 50mm of closing action - easy. I guess after a few insurance claims this will be introduced. Lets hope nobody at Ford did a cost risk calculation like the Pinto fuel tank.
[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]On the plus side the car handles very well for a family shopping trolley - well pleased with this and the economy, the 1.6 diesel is again a treat,3rd I have owned.

2011 C-Max Grand
1.6 diesel Manual
post #8 of 16 Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM

I had a look a the locks and latches safety testing regs and there doesn't appear to be any requirement about how well the sliding door stays open when the vehicle is stationary irrespective of it being on a slope or otherwise

Richard
post #9 of 16 Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM

I should perhaps have added
As there appears to be no requirement in law then I don't expect that any insurance company (USA may be different) would actually entertain a claim as there is no fault

For the moment keep all aluale bits out of the way of the door

Richard
post #10 of 16 Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
I had a look a the locks and latches safety testing regs and there doesn't appear to be any requirement about how well the sliding door stays open when the vehicle is stationary irrespective of it being on a slope or otherwise
Grand C-MAX rear doors latch when fully open, this is released by pulling/pressing exterior/interior door handle/release button.The complaint is the force in which it closes once unlatched from fully open, I've tried it on a level surface which is enough to let it slam shut on it's own, I can only imagine the momentum gained if parked on a Front down slope, which could potentially cause injury if allowed to trap limbs, head, hands, fingers etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page