After Six Weeks of Ownership - Good News! - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

After Six Weeks of Ownership - Good News!

I have now had my 55 plate c-max 2.0TDCi for six weeks. It has taken a little bit of getting used to - mainly the six speed and handbrake. (I had a merc before with foot activated parking brake.)

Good news is I recently did a journey of 231 miles, averaged 63 MPH and got 60.1 MPG according to the onboard computer.

The journey was a mix of a few miles of urban driving, followed by heavy traffic motorway, open motorway, M25, and then more urban and country roads for the last 15 miles.

I am pleased

Peter

Of course this assumes the onboard computer is accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 02:03 PM

The only real way is on a brim to brim fill of the fuel tank
To aid the calculation process
If you've travelled TEN times more miles than you put in litres of fuel that is 45 MPG
For 11 it's approx 50 MPG, 12 is 55 MPG and 13 is just over 59 MPG

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #3 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM

Well I bought my 2 litre Cmax off my uncle about 4 weeks ago now. He owned it for 3 years and did 3k miles in it in all that time. He said he serviced it himself once in all that time He said because the car had only done a short distance he didnt feel like it needed a service. Trouble is since I bought it, the clutch and DMF needed replacing, new front brake discs and pads, new battery, brake fluid renewed. A full service also. Spent 1300 in that time. Now I find with the warm weather that the air con needs regassing
I still owe him 400 for the car. Guess what....He's not bloody getting it.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers

post #4 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
You may find that the aircon system will now no longer be gas tight. It's recommended to run it at least once a week to keep the compressor seals in good condition. If it loses its gas again, there's a good chance you may need to get a replacement compressor. They may take the old one back for re-con as a part ex. Not sure on that.
If it does lose its gas again, ask for a florescence test on the system. It's a dye which they put in which shows up in UV light and helps to pinpoint the leak. Hopefully it will be OK though. Fingers crossed!!!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 PM

Well he did tell me he didn't like using the air con because it used fuel. I knew about keeping the seals lubricated in the air-con from some years back, but a lot of people are not aware of this and do damage that's costly.

Blue 2 Litre Diesel Ghia ,2005, Front and rear parking sensors,fridge, sony 6 cd player, Full cream leather interior.Favourite of all-sunroof for those hot British summers
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM

I bought my C Max when it was 4 years old. It had 38k miles and part Ford part owner service history. It had a clutch and dmf on warranty after 8 months. Also a starter motor under warranty. Since I've owned it its had an EGR valve (warranty, phew!), drivers window motor (230 ouch) and a gel battery (180 double ouch). Next major outlay will be cam belt change @ 100k miles. Consequently I don't use Ford for servicing/repairs any more, they've priced themselves out. Kwikfit do servicing to manufacturer standards at half the price.

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec with Pioneer AVIC f900bt multi media & satnav, 2 rear headrest monitors & FLI 1000w active sub.
Middle rear seat folded back for extra legroom for the outer seats.

Last edited by LordJohn; 05-25-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: misspelling
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
Regarding the aircon and it's running cost, It may well be true that it will knock the stuffing out of a small petrol engine, but a large turbo diesel won't even notice. I once remarked at work that my car (a 2.0 HDi 110 Xantia at the time) was more economical in the summer with the aircon running, than it was in the winter with it off. Two colleagues, one with a 2.0 D4D Rav4 and the other with a 1.9 TDi Sport VW Sharan said the same. It's probably something to do with the lower ambient temperatures and the fact that the diesel engine is less efficient when it's cold.
The aircon comes on automatically when you select the windscreen demist on the heater controls which is handy for keeping it in working order. You can always knock it off again after a wee while. If you are lucky enough to have climate control instead of just aircon, the system should look after itself and you should leave the compressor on all the time.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 PM

I've got an auto aircon guy coming round tomorrow to regas it and make sure its in working order first of all. Its 60 to regas and I hope thats all I have to pay. Get ready to be informed that the whole system is kaput and to fix it will cost around 4000. Just you wait.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page