25 mpg??? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

25 mpg???

I'm getting 25 mpg with the 2 litre diesel at moment. Only been driving on very short journeys and the engine is not getting to its optimum temp. Would you say its normal? Seems a little low to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
VERY! My usage is varied, but includes trips of 1-2 miles to the shops and less than a mile to a friend's house quite regularly. This is tempered by a trip to town (23 miles away) about once or sometimes twice a week. My consumption averages out at about 47mpg, worked out the old way, Miles travelled divided by fuel added multiplied by 4.54 to give MPG. It only really works if you go "Brim to Brim" so you know exactly what's what, but if you regularly use the same pump, the third "click" is what I go by. I wouldn't pay a great deal of attention to the trip computer. The only time it's reasonably accurate is if you zero everything after each fill, otherwise it just tells utter porkies! So much so that I call it the "Lying Toad" or LT for short!
If your MPG really is so low you will be getting lots of black smoke on acceleration and maybe problems with your Cat and DPF if you have one. Have a look at your air filter and change it if it looks dubious, especially if you have no record of when it was last done. Several people, myself included, have changed to a K&N filter as they promise better airflow characteristics and are cleanable. I noticed an increase of about 2 mpg after fitting mine. FORD C MAX 2.0 TDCI 2007 - 2009 CMAX K&N AIR FILTER KN | eBay
It's dearer than a paper one, but is a direct replacement and you'll never need to buy another.......EVER! (Not for that car anyway!)

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #3 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I've always had suspicions about K&N filters ever since I read an article from an engineer years ago stating they let more air in and create better mpg, but the downside to this is they also let in larger particles that a filter is meant to stop. Therefore larger particles getting into parts of the engine causing greater wear and problems for the car. I think someone called it a K&N noise machine instead of a filter.
I will look at the filter to see if it is clogged because this mpg even though its the trip computer reading, its still shockingly low.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 PM

There is absolutely no difference in noise level since fitting the new filter. If you look at K&Ns website K&N High Performance Lifetime Aftermarket Air Filters - Automotive and Motorcycle Air Filters you will see that they claim the filter not only flows better than a paper one, but provides at least the same level of filtration as OEM paper filters. It is probably better in all respects than a cheap aftermarket replacement.
Because it fits in the original casing, there is no difference in induction noise. You only get that if you ditch the factory casings and pipework and fit one of the exposed "conical" style external filters beloved by the "boy racer" fraternity.

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #5 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM

I second everything big Budgie says about K & N filters they are one of the most respected air filter manufacturers around, selling millions around the world, they put a lot of R & D into their filters which is why they are one of the market leaders. give better airflow and better filtration than the cheap paper effort car manufactures put in from new, I've never read or heard any reports of a K&N filter damaging an engine, I think that engineer is very miss informed!

56reg Focus c-max 2.0 tdci ghia

Tango metallic sony 6 disc player front & rear parking sensors,privacy glass,climate control
post #6 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes it was the conical style type that boy racers would get. I owned a Calibra at the time and most owners went for those type to add noise if nothing else. The ones you mention where it fits straight into the casing I had no idea there was a thing because I know that mpg would be better so will look into that. Cheers.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Just ordered one for 31. Its got a lifetime guarantee(million miles) and I take it all i need do is clean it once every so often?
post #8 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 06:55 PM

You'll find instructions for cleaning and re-oiling on their website as well as the kit for doing it. I think the maximum cleaning interval is as much as 50K miles! I think I'd be inclined to do it once a year!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #9 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I took a look at the air filter in the car to see what it was like. I have never seen a dirtier filter in my life. Going to speak to my Uncle who I bought the car off to ask him when he last changed it, if ever. It is grimy and greasy and black. No wonder mpg is low. Getting car serviced next week, Oil filter,oil, pollen filter, fuel filter.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-19-2012, 01:38 AM

If the air filter is that bad, it may be an idea to put some kind of engine flush through the oil system when you change the oil. Alternatively, do an oil change , drive a bit, then add a flusher and change the oil and filter again within a couple of hundred miles. Also it may be an idea to change the brake fluid and antifreeze sooner rather than later. Gearbox oil level is the next stop. Check and top-up if necessary.
Seems like your nice careful uncle hasn't been big on maintenance. Bet the car was washed and polished nicely when you got it though!!!!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page