1.8 Tdci small end engine failure - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

My C-Max will be 4years old April 2011 and has done 46,000 miles it has an 1.8TDCi engine, a small end bearing hasfailed suddenly, without warning, The car has been serviced regularly and there have been no signs of oil pressure failure. I have read many forums and it appears that this engine is prone to problem around 90,000 miles.
The car was taken into my local garage, not a Ford dealer thinking it was only a small tappet problem, but on inspection, ie head removal the problem was discoverd.

I am now in a dilema as to know what to do, as it is a major issue, although the car has been service by Ford dealers , the last service was carried out by my local garage, who are all qualified mechanics. I think Ford or the Main Ford dealer that supplied the car should be part responsible
for the bill as you do not expect this sort of problem at this mileage.

I have had Fords all my life and never had this sort of problem.

Any Advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Hi, there

After reading your post i find myself in the same position, my car is an 07 plate and have only done 42,000 miles, and have run into this huge problem. Not exactly sure where the engine has been affected yet but have been informed by a ford dealer that the engine has ceased due to no oil, but i have had no warning of this no oil light has come on and i have not noticed any oil leak myself.
Can you please tell me what happened in your situation as i feel ford should be liable for this as the oil light has failed to come on and indicate the problem to me. I hope you had a good result and gt help from ford.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsparkly
Hi, there

After reading your post i find myself in the same position, my car is an 07 plate and have only done 42,000 miles, and have run into this huge problem. Not exactly sure where the engine has been affected yet but have been informed by a ford dealer that the engine has ceased due to no oil, but i have had no warning of this no oil light has come on and i have not noticed any oil leak myself.
Can you please tell me what happened in your situation as i feel ford should be liable for this as the oil light has failed to come on and indicate the problem to me. I hope you had a good result and gt help from ford.
You cannot rely on warning lights you need to manually check oil weekly. I have know several cars run/dry low without pressure warning lights. I don't think you can hold ford responsible for this if by your own admission you failed to carry out the most basic of checks. This is why they now have show me tell me on the driving test as it was shocking the amount of people who couldn't even check the oil level on a car.

(1.8 ZETEC)

To the average driver \'safe\' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver \'safe\' is not being vunerable to an accident.

www.advanced-driving.co.uk ------- www.roadar.org.uk

post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanheat

My C-Max will be 4years old April 2011 and has done 46,000 miles it has an 1.8TDCi engine, a small end bearing hasfailed suddenly, without warning, The car has been serviced regularly and there have been no signs of oil pressure failure. I have read many forums and it appears that this engine is prone to problem around 90,000 miles.
The car was taken into my local garage, not a Ford dealer thinking it was only a small tappet problem, but on inspection, ie head removal the problem was discoverd.

I am now in a dilema as to know what to do, as it is a major issue, although the car has been service by Ford dealers , the last service was carried out by my local garage, who are all qualified mechanics. I think Ford or the Main Ford dealer that supplied the car should be part responsible
for the bill as you do not expect this sort of problem at this mileage.

I have had Fords all my life and never had this sort of problem.

Any Advice
In your case I wouldcomplainyour car is 1 year out ofwarrantyand still withinmilleage(60k). Also worth noting thatcompetitors like vauxhall now cover cars for 5 years and 100k. It has suffered a majormechanical failure despite carry out necessary checks and having the car serviced inline with fords scheduling. I should expect a goodwill gesture of at least 50% of repair costs. Quote the 1974 sale of good act and the vehicle should be free fromdefects for a reasonable time and milleage. The car has not completed the 60k warranty milleage vut is just out of 3 years warranty and therefore it should not have failed.

(1.8 ZETEC)

To the average driver \'safe\' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver \'safe\' is not being vunerable to an accident.

www.advanced-driving.co.uk ------- www.roadar.org.uk
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 AM

Hi,

In the first instance I would agree with jbsportstech that the matter is worth pursuing under the sale of goods act if the dealer and / or ford are less than helpful. If you are a which? member then they have legal services available, or alternatively just call the consumer direct line for advice.
I know it is easy to be wise after the event, but as a precaution I always use an additive (and definitely not one containing ptfe). The variety I use has yellow and blue packaging and a 1, an X and a Z in the title! Never had an engine issue and my last VW 1.9 PD unit was in excess of 160k and had full compressions when tested!
There are also a lot of discussions around on oil varieties. The Ford spec oil is now a 5W 30 fully synthetic, whereas previously it was a part synthetic to the same viscosity. Earlier oils may not have been up to short commutes without a regular long run to decarbonise everything. Some owners swear by a regular 6k oil change.
My personal view is that if you do regular short journeys then you'd be better with a petrol engine. If you have a diesel then you must do more frequent oil changes.

And3T

Black 59 Plate 1.6L TDCi Titanium/Privacy/Parking/USB
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM

I agree with Jbsportstech that every driver must be capable of checking oil level and it is not difficult, or onerous, if carried out at the same time as topping up the screenwash – BUT, where-on-earth has 5 litres of oil gone. Sarahsparkly said that there was no signs of an oil leak, you would certainly see some sign with that amount.
Could it be that it wasn't refilled after draining for the last oil change? Though how you would prove that is impossible, it comes back to the weekly oil level check.
[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

2009(10reg)1.8TDCi115Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page