USA Owners? - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

USA Owners?

I love chatting with all the owners in Europe, but I was wondering if any American Owners have signed on? Or am I the only owner in the US who has joined? It appears there is a big difference between the new US hybrid C-Max and the one you all are driving in the U.K? First of all I guess the hybrid hasn't yet hit the streets in Europe? Since it seems you are driving diesel powered versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie
Yes. If you want real life fuel economy it has to be diesel. Not only that, but the diesel is a much more pleasant car to drive. Being more torquey and the better performer size for size, as well as having lower emissions and therefore a lower tax band.
The only first hand experience I have of a hybrid is when a work colleague was lent a Prius as a courtesy car when he put his (used) Diesel VW Passat back to the Toyota dealer he bought it from for some remedial warranty work. On the way to the garage, the trip computer on his Passat was reading an average of 56 mpg. On the way back, with the Prius, he didn't manage to get it above 35 with the same kind of driving. I had a drive of the Prius, and thought it wasn't a patch on his TDi 130 Passat.
Another big difference is the fact that a big percentage of us drive vehicles with a manual gearbox. It is generally reckoned that an auto 'box will lead to an approximate 10% drop in economy and with fuel at 1.50 a LITRE at my local station, I want to squeeze every inch I can out of a tankfull!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #3 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Budgie View Post
Yes. If you want real life fuel economy it has to be diesel. Not only that, but the diesel is a much more pleasant car to drive. Being more torquey and the better performer size for size, as well as having lower emissions and therefore a lower tax band.
The only first hand experience I have of a hybrid is when a work colleague was lent a Prius as a courtesy car when he put his (used) Diesel VW Passat back to the Toyota dealer he bought it from for some remedial warranty work. On the way to the garage, the trip computer on his Passat was reading an average of 56 mpg. On the way back, with the Prius, he didn't manage to get it above 35 with the same kind of driving. I had a drive of the Prius, and thought it wasn't a patch on his TDi 130 Passat.
Another big difference is the fact that a big percentage of us drive vehicles with a manual gearbox. It is generally reckoned that an auto 'box will lead to an approximate 10% drop in economy and with fuel at 1.50 a LITRE at my local station, I want to squeeze every inch I can out of a tankfull!
Well very interesting thoughts and comparisons regarding diesel vs. hybrid. Diesel in the US are polluters which create more smell and black smoke than mpg in my opinion. We are hearing that we can expect regular unleaded to exceed $5 per gallon before the holidays, which is why I'm glad I have a hybrid which is putting out 37.5mpg in the city. I expect that number will increase as I continue to learn how to drive more efficiently.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to Beaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb9153 View Post
Well very interesting thoughts and comparisons regarding diesel vs. hybrid. Diesel in the US are polluters which create more smell and black smoke than mpg in my opinion. We are hearing that we can expect regular unleaded to exceed $5 per gallon before the holidays, which is why I'm glad I have a hybrid which is putting out 37.5mpg in the city. I expect that number will increase as I continue to learn how to drive more efficiently.
You're not using Euro Spec diesels though, and I'm informed the low-sulphur stuff that is an EU requirement is only just finding it's way in to fuel stations over there.

Compared to a Petrol of the same age our stuff produces less CO2, NOx, and is actually cleaner for the most part.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM

My cousin's car, a current model Audi A4 2.0 TDi, has so little coming out the exhaust that you can wipe your finger round the inside and it will come out spotless! All Euro 5 spec diesels will be as good. It is a car of similar weight/power/ performance to my Cmax yet the emissions are much lower than my Euro 4 spec engine, Quoted at 120 g/Km CO2 as against mine at 148 g/Km. (grammes per kilometre). He regularly returns over 50mpg in general driving and he's not particularly light footed either!
It used to be said that Diesels were "Noisy, smelly and slow". That is no longer the case, with many car ranges in Europe having the Diesel as King of the performance table. Compare the 2.0 Petrol and Diesel on Parkers website, Ford Focus C-MAX (03-10) Performance - Facts and Figures | Parkers and Ford Focus C-MAX (03-10) Running Costs - Facts and Figures | Parkers and you will see the Diesel is not only the quickest to 60, but, at 50mpg, easily achievable in real world driving, is 12mpg ahead of the petrol car, with the automatic versions being 13mpg different. No brainer as far as I'm concerned, especially as the road tax on the petrol model is 80 a year more than the Diesel!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #6 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM

and there is Euro VI just round the corner as well though when this gets to where it can be just about no cleaner I'm not certain

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #7 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM

Could be a problem Richard! You may have to go round with some kind of a device to catch all the diesel pouring out of the tank as the engine ends up making the stuff! LOL!

2008 2.0 TDCi Zetec
post #8 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb9153 View Post
I love chatting with all the owners in Europe, but I was wondering if any American Owners have signed on? Or am I the only owner in the US who has joined? It appears there is a big difference between the new US hybrid C-Max and the one you all are driving in the U.K? First of all I guess the hybrid hasn't yet hit the streets in Europe? Since it seems you are driving diesel powered versions.
Hi-
I'm here on the East Coast and have a two-week old SE on the second tank of fuel.
I posted a thread about Fog lights, HIDs which you may have read.
I'm happy to chat about stuff in a private message fashion, unless there are relevant issues to the general public.

Do you think someday there will be owners hacking the vehicle software, etc. as owners do on Priuschat?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid dude View Post
Hi-
I'm here on the East Coast and have a two-week old SE on the second tank of fuel.
I posted a thread about Fog lights, HIDs which you may have read.
I'm happy to chat about stuff in a private message fashion, unless there are relevant issues to the general public.

Do you think someday there will be owners hacking the vehicle software, etc. as owners do on Priuschat?
There has been some sort of similar post about doing something with earlier Mk software but I seem to remember problems with getting past the "Fraud" security codes

Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
post #10 of 11 Old 05-26-2016, 10:37 PM
QHC

In NE with a 2013 C-Max hybrid SEL and a 2013 Fusion SE. Bought them both when they were about a year old. Both have been good cars. We average about 38 mpg all the time. Doesn't matter if it's hiway or city.

Quiller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page