C-Max Owners Club banner

Poor fuel mileage

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  rfloch45 
#1 ·
I just bought my wife a 2014 C Max and it is our first hybrid. We feel it is not getting the fuel mileage it should be. It has just under 81000 miles. We seem to be getting about 31mpg and can't get it any better and I am pretty good and driving economically and have been doing everything I can to get the best mileage. If driven "normally" it would be getting worse mileage. Would a weak hybrid battery cause this? The battery meter drips really fast and if you turn the key on to accessory the radio turns off within minutes and says it is due to low battery. Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi,
I've only had my '17 energi for six months so I'm no expert but mid-thirties on gas alone (the energi can be charged for about 20 miles worth of electric-only drive) seems to be about it. I've heard this elsewhere as well. We got ours for flat-towing so mileage wasn't our top requirement.

#4 ·
Definitely there is something wrong trying your best and only getting 31 mpg. My 13 averages 42 mpg with 148k on it. Winter weather drops to about 37-38. I could probably squeeze out a little more if I really pushed hypermiling but I don't want to be a pest to others on the road either.

#5 ·
As an outsider looking in, the first thing I would do is put in a new air filter. Modern EFI systems are highly dependent on proper air flow. If car has not gotten a new one after 81k or was used in a dusty drives previously, the filter may have become highly restrictive to air flow. Thanks for the read & hope it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.