2016 C-Max Backup Camera Issues
My wife's 2016 C-MAX backup camera is having sporadic issues. INTERMITTENTLY, it'll not work and exhibit one of the following symptoms:
1) Black screen instead of camera, followed by "Camera Unavailable".
2) Upside down image of camera, followed by "Camera Unavailable".
3) Screen has flashing artifacts, lines, and overall glitching image of camera like your tripping on acid, followed by "Camera Unavailable".
4) About 25% of the time it works normally.
I've tried the following fixes from various online suggestions:
1) Hold down RADIO power button and >> button for 5 seconds to "reboot" SYNC3 system.
2) Updated firmware of NAV/RADIO to latest version on Ford's website.
3) Pulled and checked, power cycled circuits connected to Fuses F30/31 in rear cargo area and Fuse F67 under glove box which from sources online/manual all relate to camera operation.
4) Turned off guidance assist markers on display in Radio/NAV for backup assist as some reported this fixing issue in other Ford vehicles.
5) Physically using my finger on backup camera harness to make sure nothing was loose or debri was in area.
I can hear a slight clicking that aligns with when the screen is showing artifacts and flashes under the dashboard near the steering wheel I think, so I'm suspecting there is some sort of stupid module that is failing or has a loose connection under there. Anyone have experience with this and verified fix? A new camera is $106 on rockauto and not really wanting to shell that out without knowing for sure thats what it is or in general for what is probably a $5 webcam assembly made in china. Also seems unlikely to be the camera since sometimes it works fine. Seems more like a loose connection or failing module. Hoping for a cheap fix as it is annoying at times.