2016 C-Max Backup Camera Issues - Ford C-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 12-09-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Arrow 2016 C-Max Backup Camera Issues

My wife's 2016 C-MAX backup camera is having sporadic issues. INTERMITTENTLY, it'll not work and exhibit one of the following symptoms:

1) Black screen instead of camera, followed by "Camera Unavailable".
2) Upside down image of camera, followed by "Camera Unavailable".
3) Screen has flashing artifacts, lines, and overall glitching image of camera like your tripping on acid, followed by "Camera Unavailable".
4) About 25% of the time it works normally.

I've tried the following fixes from various online suggestions:

1) Hold down RADIO power button and >> button for 5 seconds to "reboot" SYNC3 system.
2) Updated firmware of NAV/RADIO to latest version on Ford's website.
3) Pulled and checked, power cycled circuits connected to Fuses F30/31 in rear cargo area and Fuse F67 under glove box which from sources online/manual all relate to camera operation.
4) Turned off guidance assist markers on display in Radio/NAV for backup assist as some reported this fixing issue in other Ford vehicles.
5) Physically using my finger on backup camera harness to make sure nothing was loose or debri was in area.

I can hear a slight clicking that aligns with when the screen is showing artifacts and flashes under the dashboard near the steering wheel I think, so I'm suspecting there is some sort of stupid module that is failing or has a loose connection under there. Anyone have experience with this and verified fix? A new camera is $106 on rockauto and not really wanting to shell that out without knowing for sure thats what it is or in general for what is probably a $5 webcam assembly made in china. Also seems unlikely to be the camera since sometimes it works fine. Seems more like a loose connection or failing module. Hoping for a cheap fix as it is annoying at times.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-10-2020, 06:57 PM

I had problems with mine too. Message that camera was not available. I was ready to tear into the tailgate when I decided to reset the Sync system to factory defaults. In my case the camera came back online and so far has stayed that way. You seem to have done everything imaginable . I talked to my dealer and he said intermittent connections had been an issue with those cameras and the tailgate would have to be opened up to check them and he seemed to thing bad connections was more likely than a defective camera.

I have read several posts about upside down images as well.

Removing the inside trim on the liftgate might be interesting but if you break clips I see they are available on Amazon. Looks like a trim removal tool might have little help as pictures I have seen show the clips not on the edge of the trim but rather further inside. If you do take the trim off please let us know what you encounter as I have posted that question with no answers.

Good luck and let us know how you make out

Also on my 2013 there is a fuse panel on the right rear behind a door inside the back compartment. Fuse 31 powers the camera and you might pull that and reseat it to reset the camera. Its the third fuse up from the bottom on the left row of fuses. On mine, F29 which is the bottom is empty and not used.

Last edited by mowfixer; 12-10-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: left out a detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page