Fog lights, HID Xenon, DRLs - Ford C-Max Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambridge, MA, USA
Posts: 12
Fog lights, HID Xenon, DRLs

Hi all-
I'm a newbie here and to the Ford brand as well. My previous vehicles were Mercedes and Volvo.

We had decided our next vehicle was going to be a hybrid and assumed it would be a Prius but luckily our timing was right and the C-Max hybrid was just beginning to be sold, so we test drove one and bought the most basic model SE ... no options, two weeks ago.

I would have liked to have had power and heated seats, fog lights and push-button start but here in the states, in order to get those features, one must choose the SEL model and be forced to have leather, which we did not want. Removing the leather after the fact was also not a choice.

The inability to pick and choose options seems to be a common complaint here but Ford does nothing to remedy that situation and groups options into packages.

My questions involve the ease to which one can add options such as fog lights, HID Xenon lights, etc. Fog lights are offered in the USA and I've put this question to my service manager with no answer yet:
If I bought the fog lights, plastic grills, wiring jumper (as Ford calls it) and switch and perhaps a fuse, would I be able to connect it all and have it function?

Do Ford vehicles require 'flashing' the computer module to enable the car to 'see' the additional option?

As to Xenon / HIDs, they are not an option here but are everywhere else. I've found a pair of what seem to be original Valeo manufacture lights on ebay (from Latvia) but they do not include the ballast nor bulb, which I've read can be very expensive. So, same question, if I jumped in and bought all these parts, would it work? I've found only one hint online, that being one needs a resistor or some such device to fool the car into thinking there is no voltage drop.

As an aside, it is interesting that the only LED bulbs on the car are the one's that illuminate the interior. I guess for financial reasons, the tailghts, parking lights, etc. are incandescent, which is strange for a hybrid, where the game is to use as little electricity as possible.

For anyone interested, we drove a little over 500 miles on the first tank of gas, averaging 40mpg. Most of that is city, with a few highway jaunts here and there. I love ability to remain in EV mode up to a rather high speed, one of the main reasons in addition to rear seat room that we chose the C-Max over the Prius.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Hybrid dude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Water Orton
Posts: 3,967
For UK & EU the regs require to have H/Lamp levelling & washers if you have HID fitted so may be expensive to retrofit.
#
I'm not fully certain of requirements under FMVSS but likely at least similar if not more restrictive




Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
Richard G is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambridge, MA, USA
Posts: 12
Yes, thanks for the regulatory info, of which I've read a lot of posts on this forum. Their expense may be prohibitive, so I am mostly interested in the fogs and if they are 'plug and play'.
Hybrid dude is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Water Orton
Posts: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid dude View Post
Yes, thanks for the regulatory info, of which I've read a lot of posts on this forum. Their expense may be prohibitive, so I am mostly interested in the fogs and if they are 'plug and play'.
With the earlier models it appears that only one wiring loom was used and that the connectors for such as the fog lights were taped back out of the way but were there as people did do the retrofit conversion including changing the main lighting switch
#
In that respect adding fog lights to the Hybrid ought to be the same but you can bet it's not made easy to achieve ~dealers will not also have much experience with model being new




Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
Richard G is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambridge, MA, USA
Posts: 12
I have yet to investigate whether the wiring loom is there and taped or not. I did, however, find an interesting post about someone in the US with a 2012 Focus. He does mention that there is a body control module which routes the information from the switch to the lights. In his case, it was different between models but from my parts research, there seems to be only one module, so hopefully after all is said and done, a 'flash' as they call it here from the dealer will activate them.

For reference, here's a link to that lengthy Focus discussion with nice photos:
Fog Light Installation - S Model (with Pics) - Focus Fanatics

For cost reasons, I plan to gather the parts from online auctions but since the car just became available here, it is slim pickings. I do look at UK sites as well, mainly for the plastic grills in the bumper which seem to be way too expensive here new ... about $90 each, much more than the lights themselves!

I would love to have the rear fog too but our bumper cover doesn't even have the cutouts in that location and it would be quite a wiring job as well.

(Our previous car was a 2001 Volvo V40, which had front and rear fogs, heated seats, both driver and passenger power seats. It was a US spec car but I did the overseas delivery which enabled more a la carte options.)
Hybrid dude is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambridge, MA, USA
Posts: 12
My dealer service manager checked with two Ford tech advisors and they said there is no way to 'flash' or 'code' the body control module in order to activate fog lights or for that matter anything else.

Also, repair shops here do not want to touch any wiring on a hybrid for fear of electric shock.

What to do, as I just can't believe there is no way to add fogs or other components? My friend suggested by passing the control module and wiring like on older pre-module vehicles but I think this is a bit risky, no?
Hybrid dude is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Water Orton
Posts: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid dude View Post
My dealer service manager checked with two Ford tech advisors and they said there is no way to 'flash' or 'code' the body control module in order to activate fog lights or for that matter anything else.

Also, repair shops here do not want to touch any wiring on a hybrid for fear of electric shock.

What to do, as I just can't believe there is no way to add fogs or other components? My friend suggested by passing the control module and wiring like on older pre-module vehicles but I think this is a bit risky, no?
unfortunately you are ahead of us this side of pond as to what / how hybrid is wired at least for the moment




Richard
54 Plate 1.6 TDCI LX ~aspiring to be something else
Richard G is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
crash19999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: southeast
Posts: 227
I think that would be fine wired like the older vehicles using a relay and switch!

CMAX 05 reg
2.0 tdci ultima
crash19999 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 12-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Junior Member
 
evonschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid dude View Post
Hi all-
I'm a newbie here and to the Ford brand as well. My previous vehicles were Mercedes and Volvo.

We had decided our next vehicle was going to be a hybrid and assumed it would be a Prius but luckily our timing was right and the C-Max hybrid was just beginning to be sold, so we test drove one and bought the most basic model SE ... no options, two weeks ago.

I would have liked to have had power and heated seats, fog lights and push-button start but here in the states, in order to get those features, one must choose the SEL model and be forced to have leather, which we did not want. Removing the leather after the fact was also not a choice.

The inability to pick and choose options seems to be a common complaint here but Ford does nothing to remedy that situation and groups options into packages.

My questions involve the ease to which one can add options such as fog lights, HID Xenon lights, etc. Fog lights are offered in the USA and I've put this question to my service manager with no answer yet:
If I bought the fog lights, plastic grills, wiring jumper (as Ford calls it) and switch and perhaps a fuse, would I be able to connect it all and have it function?

Do Ford vehicles require 'flashing' the computer module to enable the car to 'see' the additional option?

As to Xenon / HIDs, they are not an option here but are everywhere else. I've found a pair of what seem to be original Valeo manufacture lights on ebay (from Latvia) but they do not include the ballast nor bulb, which I've read can be very expensive. So, same question, if I jumped in and bought all these parts, would it work? I've found only one hint online, that being one needs a resistor or some such device to fool the car into thinking there is no voltage drop.

As an aside, it is interesting that the only LED bulbs on the car are the one's that illuminate the interior. I guess for financial reasons, the tailghts, parking lights, etc. are incandescent, which is strange for a hybrid, where the game is to use as little electricity as possible.

For anyone interested, we drove a little over 500 miles on the first tank of gas, averaging 40mpg. Most of that is city, with a few highway jaunts here and there. I love ability to remain in EV mode up to a rather high speed, one of the main reasons in addition to rear seat room that we chose the C-Max over the Prius.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Are you talking about installing a factory fog light setup? If so that'd be quite expensive. You'd be better off getting a fog light kit with relay, switch and wiring and running that up to the dashboard.

LEDs and HIDs will work fine in the vehicle if you get a BOW3 kit and plug it inline from Amazon. This normalizes the pulsed voltage from the headlights (Ford does this to save bulb life), DRL lower voltage, and stops bulb out warnings. Works perfectly on every vehicle I've installed on.

I've also replaced various bulbs in the car with LED wedge bulbs (like lic plate lights, reverse lights, mirror lights, etc) with no issues. Just need to find the right bulb type and swap out.
evonschu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford C-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
H8 HID 8000k kit for fog lights Andymac For Sale & Wanted 0 04-18-2011 12:34 AM
C-Max Footwell & Fog lights PeterT Main Message Centre 65 02-21-2010 04:56 AM
Front fog lights Chris Main Message Centre 9 11-25-2008 07:28 PM
Front fog lights Chris Main Message Centre 0 10-11-2008 10:13 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome