C-Max Owners Club banner

Which C Max ??

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  romseyraver 
#1 ·
Hi Im Charlie from Sunny Burntisland on the East coast of Scotland but originaly from the Midlands (Worcester.
Im looking at a C Max for My wife and also as a second family car . My Wife has a serious back injury and seems to think getting in and out of Her present car ( A 2004 Focus) will be much better !
She needs as smooth a riding car as possible And as good a spec as We can find her for the budget of around 7K.
Her/ Our mileage is fairly high . Her current Focus has done 12 thousand miles since We bought it in Febuary this year.
Questions are.
Whats the economy like on the 1.8 Manualpetrol and 2.0 Automatic petrol like ?
Not sure 7K will buy a 2.0 TDCI !
What are these cars like for ride quality ?
What are they like as a motorway cruiser ?We shuttle up and down from Scotland to the Midlands fairly often hence the highish anual mileage
And which trim level is going to suit ?
Sorry for so many questions !!!
Thanks.
Charlie.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would suggest that with the mileage the extra economy of the diesel has to be serious consideration (around 50 MPG compared to low / mid 30's for the petrols)
You don't mention needing an automatic gearbox as a must have but if so STAY AWAY from the 1.6 Diesel with the CVT (constant variable transmission)
With the higher gearing the diesel run at motorway speed at no more than 3000 RPM and even the 1.6TDCI is relatively quiet at this speed and still gives good MPG (I've found ours did benefit from a K&N filter by about 7% MPG improvement) Some of the 1.6's are presently only £90 VED as well (check the V5 for 129 g/Km CO2)

#3 ·
Hi Richard And thanks ! Auto is not a must have but would be desireable for My Wife .
Ive been looking at C Maxes at the Motability Auctions at Kinross. Most of the cars are 1.8 petrols or ocasionaly 2.0 Autos. The cars are usualy low mileage cars Typical of ex Motability vehicles.
What is the ride quality like in say a 1.8 petrol C Max ??? Whats are they like on the motorway IE is it a relaxed criuser or e rev hound ??Her presentFocus sits at 3000RPM at 70 mph My car a Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCI 6 Speed is turning over at just 2000 rpm at the same speed/
Obviously a petrol will be reving higher but how is the C Max at these speeds ??
Thanks
Charlie.

#4 ·
Absolutely, a diesel it should be by the sounds of it. There are lots of highish mileage examples about for about 7K, but mileage isn't so much of an issue with diesels. Certainly your wife will find the Cmax a much easier car to get in and out of and a more comfortable drive all round than your focus. Most people opt for the zetec trim, which will give you most of the goodies anyone might wish for. You will find the 1.8 and 2.0 petrols thirsty, even if you do a lot of motorway driving.
Edited by: romseyraver

#5 ·
The Diesels would save on a day to day basis But Low mileage 1.8 petrols are going through Kinross They are 3 year old Ex Motability cars .
IE One last week.
57 plate 1.8 Zetec Pepper red Manual in very good condition (1 Minor dent on the tailgate 21 K miles it went for £6050 Now is this typical example better than a high mileage diesel ??

In the Focus Zetecs the ride is a little sportier IE harder than the LX models. Is this also the same in the C Max ?? One of the main concerns is the real world ride quality which must be one of the most important factors
Thanks Guys Aprreciate Your inputs !
Charlie.

#6 ·
Yep, the LX is a smoother ride than a Zetec. You will probably get less than 30 MPG round town and less than 35 MPG on a run in a 1.8 petrol, so you need to do the maths on 16,000 miles a year compared to a diesel. Parkers have got hundreds of CMaxes on their site so you can at least compare prices, etc. I note they have a 2006 1.8 diesel LX for sale with only 16,000 miles on the clock for £6695. It's orange, however
. I wouldn't buy a diesel that is older than that. However, there are quite a few diesels just on that site that are well within your price range that have done less than 50,000 miles, which means they're just about run in.
I run a petrol myself and really like it. Super smooth ride. But I do very few miles so the small engine suits me fine. If I did 16,000 miles a year I think I would find the difference in MPG between a 1.8 petrol and any diesel a bit alarming. If however, the maths add up for you then I am sure your wife will find any good petrol model an easy and comfortable car to drive.
Edited by: romseyraver

#7 ·
I bought an 1.8 Style which was ex motability last weekend and so far it's been great. Driving is easy and comfortable and it sits well on the motorway. Mine has 26k on the clock and I paid 6k for it. Filled up with fuel from nearly empty a couple of days ago which cost £55 and the computer says that it has a range of 380 miles which isn't bad. Happy hunting

#8 ·
Questions are.
Whats the economy like on the 1.8 Manualpetrol and 2.0 Automatic petrol like ?

1.8 manual I have does high 20s/low 30s in town, and high 30s, occasionally early 40s on a run.

Not sure 7K will buy a 2.0 TDCI !

It will at about 4 or 5years old

What are these cars like for ride quality ?

Really good, mine has 16" rims, and rides well over even broken surfaces, I also drove a 18" rimmed C-Max which was horrid the big alloys ruin the ride. Don't know about 17"s

What are they like as a motorway cruiser ?We shuttle up and down from Scotland to the Midlands fairly often hence the highish anual mileage

Get one with cruise. My 1.8 is near silent at motorway speeds, is pokey and rides well. The seats are comfy and the AC and heating are really good too.

And which trim level is going to suit ?

Buy a Ghia or Titanium spec for good toy list. heated front screen a must, so too front and rear parking sensors and the better Sony 6 disc stereo or the iPod connection kitif you're doing long journeys. If you're wife has issues getting in and out, then electric seating would be good as the seat controls are a little clunky and snatchy. The 1.6 litre petrol, and diesel are gutless, the 1.8 petrol is good, the 2.0 litre petrol is too thirsty for the added poke. The 2.0 diesel would be my choice. Avoid auto boxes, they are a known weakness. Also avoid silver paint, doesn'y look good. Best colours I've seen are the solid bright red, the light and dark metallic blue and the black. I'd also go for one with the tinted rear windows as it makes the car look better even if you don't need the tints. The leather seats Ford fit aren't as comfy in my mind as the velour/cloth versions. They are too slippery mainly due to the large leather panels.

Sorry for so many questions !!!

Take your time looking for one, there are a lot of really ratty cars out there. I looked at maybe a dozen before finding one that ticked all the necessary boxes. And that on is currently getting some choice oem mods to get it to the stage I want it. The driving position is good, but the front is utterly invisible from the drivers seat.

Thanks.

#9 ·
i acquired a 1.8 tdci zetec(minimum reqd spec in my opinion) with 32k miles onin may and have been thoroughly impressed in the main...fuel economy is good high 30s around town etc and on long journeys regularly get 50, at about 75mph. Wouldn't even consider a petrol as the diesel figures are so good in comparison. As the others have said the ride is good ad it handles pretty well. The only issue that i have is the road noise which can be pretty loud at times, although you do get used to it and it doesn't stop my fourteen month old daughter from sleeping in the back.

As for the cost i paid just under 10k for 2yr old one, so you'd probably be looking at 3 to3 1/2yrs old for about 7k i would imagine.

#10 ·
Thanks Guys Especialy Andymac for the replies its really helped. Im going to opt for a 1.8 petrol as there are litearaly 6 to 8 at Kinross auctions every week. Cars are usualy 1.8 Zetecs no older than 57 plate and mostly under 20K miles as they are from Motability operations. So they are allways one owner cars well serviced. The 1.8s usualy go for 6K max and will likaly be a good bet !! I would rather buy a later car with minimal mileage even if it costs a little more in fuel.....
Thanks again I will let You know how I get on !!................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.