C-Max Owners Club banner

Roof bars & top box info required !

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sanstete 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone give us the best info to get a good set of roof bars and top box for my cmax 07 ZETEC 20 TDCI, i'm thinking Halfords may be cheeper than a Ford main dealership ?

Cheers,

Tim, not dim !!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, I bought my Roof box from Halfords, £ 260 for the large black Exodus one, could afford to be a little extravagent as I saved alot on the roof bars ( £25, on notice board at work ).
Thule are a good make of roof bars, maybe try E-Bay, Gumtree or Preloved?.

#4 ·
Hi
I got a roof box for £90 - same size and quality as the ones that Halfords were selling for £180 at the time (medium size- 320 litres I think???). Montblanc brand I think.
Got it at a local motor spares shop having found it online (might even have been on ebay - can't remember now).

Genuine lockable Ford bars were £74 compared with £40 in Halfords (18 mths ago)- I figured it was worth the small extra to know that they were going to fit properly, look better, won't corrode- Ali not steel - and won't damage the paintwork on the roof etc).

BUT the distance between the bars is fixed by the slots on the car roof- and I had to drill extra holes in the roof box to suit. Easy enough to drill, but took time to work out exactly where to drill. So I'd check the distance between the front and rear holes on the box first.

Finally I'd get a box hinged at the front rather than the side, as it's easier to mount on the car single-handed (difficult to reach the clamps around the hinged edge of the lid, if you get what I mean - you have to have one hand under the box and one inside it).

Hope this helps

#8 ·
Sorry if I seem to be hijacking this thread but the answer to this may be useful to anyone fitting (and un fitting) roof bars.

I've just fitted my old thule bars with new feet and rapd fix system. The holesin the roof for the rapidfix system were sealed with something. With what should I re-seal them when I remove the bars?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.