C-Max Owners Club banner

Mounting a Tom Tom in a C Max

12K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Tractorbob3 
#1 ·
Hello all

I just bought a 57 C Max and a Tom Tom 730 Sat Nav to go with it, having had withdrawal symptoms from the loss of my built in Sat Nav in the X Trail I just got rid of.

I cant find a decent way of fixing the Tom Tom in or around the dash/windscreen and its driving me nuts! I bought sticky discs to fix the suction cup to, but theywon't stick to the slightly curved and knobbly dash area above the air vents, which is the ideal location for it. If I stick it to the windscreen lower edge I need binoculars to see it and a stick to press the screen cos its so far away! I dont fancy mounting it on the screen near the rear view mirror in case it falls off. I can't be the only personwith a Tom Tom in a C Max so whats the best way to do it? Thanks in anticipation.

#2 ·
Hello P-D-P
Although I don't use a Tom Tom too often, location is a problem. I mount it onto the bracket and place it into one of the cup holders. Not the ideal because when you look at it you are not looking where you are going, so I rely more on the sound information. However an earlier post referred to adapting the bracket to fit into the card slots on the dash,but I'm still waitingfor somebody to come up with a cunning plan.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

#5 ·
I find there are three usable locations but depend on day or night and if you are using the night colours
Just under the passenger sun visor
Just under the RHS if the driver sun visor (more to listen to than view) and
the drivers door glass set so that you can still see the rear view mirror

There is supposed to be a longer goose neck mount that TOmTom do that would probaly allow you to fit it to the driver side front quaterlight

#6 ·
I made a mount out of old credit cards.I cut a slit into two of them,&cm up & 10cm deep.
I then glued two more end to end so there was a flush fit.
Next day I glued the cut cards to the double length one.Each was 5cm from the join.
When dry,Sat was placed against upright two,I centred it & marked it at the side & front.
I then glued two supporting stripsof wood 5mm high,5mm wide &18 cm long for side supports and 2 small pieces 2cm high & 5mm square.
Next day when all the glue was set,I tried it in the card holders and added sat.Perfect fit.I have since spray painted holder black.
Result
I know this sounds a faff,but it is worth it as the holder is very light and can be put in glove box or left in cup holder (noone will guess what it`s for) & take sat with me.

#8 ·
i dont have a tom tom but my sat nav does have a long arm on it which allows it to be in the center of the screen.. only littltle problem is vibration.. i solved this by lowering the arm down so the sat nav is closer to the dash then put a peice of foam cut to the same width as the sat nav under it hence no vibration clear screen and close=and also if it comes off the screen not far to fall

#9 ·
Just a thought, call into somewhere like b&q and buy some velcro. It's not over cheap though, the realy strong wide velcro packs are around £8. Then call into your £ shop and buy a small shaving mirror. Just big enough for the suction cup to stick to. Attach a piece of velcro to the underside of the mirror and stick it on to your dashboard. Leave it go a few hours then using the suction cup, just suction it to the mirror. Obviously work out the best location for the sat nav before sticking down the velcro to the dash. You can easily remove the sat-nav by doing this, and if your careful the mirror or small piece of glass thats velcroed to your dash will not pull free. It may be worth putting something around the edge of the small mirror or glass, just incase it flys free should you emergency stop. I wouldn't wany you getting your throat cut by the edge of the glass.

#11 ·
Hi there,

Have a 54 plate C-Max. Bought the better mounting bracket from TomTom rather than the one supplied as it kept falling down/ wouldn't stick. Have mounted this on the drivers quarterlight. This has a better fixing to the glass and has a long flexible arm allowing clear vision whilst mounted. Clink on link below.
http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=355&Product=395&Category=

Had no problems since my Hubby fitted it for me, hope this helps

#13 ·
I've found the best place to mount my tom-tom is on the small triangular window in front of the driver's door. You can't see through it from the driving position, so mounting the sat-nav on there doesn't cause any visibility issues. When mounted the sat-nav is in a perfect position, out of the way of the windscreen, but easily viewable with a glance.

If I need to charge it, I use a car power socket extension box. I run the wire under the drivers seat and put the box on the small tray on the right of the drivers seat. I then run the sat-nav charger wire from that box up along the right hand side of the dash board, trapping it with the drivers door when it's closed so it's not a trip hazard. Works very well for long trips.

#16 ·
I had one of the navmat things with my hire car in Florida and it was excellent. It's just like a heavy bean bag so will sit on the dash without slipping or any vibration. It also means there is no ring markleft on your windscreen when you take it out.

I didn't know where to get one frombut now I do. Many thanks!

#18 ·
paulyoung666 said:
the reason the disc wont stick to the dash is the fact that you need to clean the dash first , a little bit of isopropylalcohol ( lens cleaner ) is all you need and it wont come off , i have just stuck mine down with number plate double sided pads and it is solid :)
Agree!
Those plastic discs are great for the sat nav.
Use lens cleaner or pop into the supermarket and get some antiseptic wipes to clean the area first.

#19 ·
I've had a tomtom one vent holder from morpethmobilesfor several months now. It cost about £12 and it fits into the vents above the stereo unit. the link shows different holders for different tomtoms.my model has now changed to http://www.morpethmobiles.co.uk/tomtom_holders.asp. i found that the bottom part of the mount required removal due to the angle of slope of the dashboard. it takes about 5 seconds to fit, never fell off and is secure. please note it cannot fit on to vertical vents if you use your tomtom in another car.

#22 ·
Lakeland do a weighted "donut" that seems to sit happily even on the curved dash
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/product/41329
The web says sold out but they do have stores around the country

<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:></v:shape>

#23 ·
I can highly recommend Brodit mounts, you buy them in two parts, one is the clip that attaches to your car (lots of positions to choose from for each specific model of car), then you pick the mount you want for e.g. your Tomtom, that then attaches to the clip. Very handy - I had one in my Mondeo for my TomTom and now have one in my C-Max :)

Cheapest place I found is here: http://www.mountonus.com

#26 ·
Hi At Halfords they do a dashmat mountits like a round beanbag with a disk in the middle, it holds the suction mount with no problems and you can sit it anyware on the dash, i put it in the centre above the CD, The sat nav does not move or shake, this thing is really good. When not in use pop it in the glove box. No tell tail signs that you have a sat nav, and nothing stuck to the dash. TIP if you get one from halfords reserve it on line to pick up, its £9.78 if you just go in and buy it it is £19.99 ( Dont know why ) Showed it to a few friends and they all use them now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.