More EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) woes - Ford C-Max Forum : 2013 Ford C-Max Owners Club
NEWS

CMaxOwnersClub.com is the premier Ford CMax Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #1

Default More EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) woes

Was quite proud of myself for installing a new set of rear pads and yet again unseizing my calipers as per one of my previous threads...

Caliper pistons wound back all the way easily once the brake hose was clamped and bleed nipple cracked open.

(NB - I bought a wind-back tool from machine Mart for only 12 but it didnt really fit! The pin spacing was just a little too wide on the tool ... BUT, I was able to put one pin in the piston face hole and lever the other pin against the piston edge, without any damage).

I pumped the brake pedal a few times until it felt hard and then tried putting the handbrake on , awful screetching noise from the EPB unit for twice as long as normal, then nothing except 'Total EPB Failure!' on the dash!

Nothing would clear this apart from disconnecting the battery, then exactly the same thing happened with the exception that the EPB this time sounds like its attempting to release the brakes when the handbrake button is pushed down.

Car feels good when driven but pedal pressure is erratic.

Only time I tried the EPB again was to hear the dreaded screetch which I stopped instantly only to get a 'Partial EPB function' or similar from the dash.

Ford dealer now booked for Monday in the hope (as I've read here) that its just the car's brain that needs reprogramming - wish I could find an independant garage in the N.E. who could do this.

Fingers crossed its NOT a new EPB unit, even if there is a link on this site to someone who appears to do exchange units.

My own fault i guess for daring to change my own rear pads and could be an expensive lesson to learn.

PS - Can someone please tell me the last year the EPB was fitted to the CMax in case I go looking for a 2nd hand unit?

Last edited by Falco; 08-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie

As far as I can gather, it was discontinued with the introduction of the MK2 in 2007. Some were fitted with some kind of "Hill start assist" or anti roll back thingy which held the rear brakes for a few seconds to let you set off without using the handbrake. Or maybe that's just from the 2010 model. Funny thing! I always thought that was what it was for!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #3

I have had this happen on a few of these cmax's and has to replace both rear calipers and epb unit!!
It's because the internals of the caliper breaks casing an extra margin of travel for the epb unit which then locks itself up with a big screeching sound!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #4

OUCH!!!! that sounds like its going to be expensive!

Tango metallic sony 6 disc player front & rear parking sensors,privacy glass,climate control
athonycmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

Cheers for the replies guys, might as well be realistic that a big bill is coming my way....

Oddly my local motor factors mentioned that they now stock exchange Apic (I think) branded Calipers for around 60 each.

But I know if an EPB unit is needed it will still need coding to the car by someone with the ability.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #6

'Kin ****..... I didnt expect the following....

EPB unit failed - 950

Calipers 'might' need replacing - 550

So, 1500 and thats WITHOUT labour!!!

Seems its possible to get the EPB unit rebuilt - 175, (much better).

After market calipers - 90 each with money back from exchange.

But, I still need to find an independent locally who can code the EBP unit,
the search and saga, continues.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #7

The rob unit requires calibrating once it has been fitted!
I would have the calipers done aswell if you go the rebuild route! Because if they are damaged it can in turn damage the rob unit again
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #8

Cheers Crash, I was thinking of doing the calipers as well, then, fingers crossed all 'should' be ok for a few years???

I've been doing my own bikes and cars for nearly 30 years without major issues so, is it reasonable for a competant amature to change out the 'rob' unit (I like that), change the calipers and then get a garage to bleed the brakes and calibrate the rob unit on completion?

OR is there much more to this than meets the eye.

I have the Haynes manual and TIS on a PC somewhere but need to read up on these again.

Cheers - Frank
Old 08-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #9

Yes they are not to hard to change just a pig to get some bolts undone as they rust quick into the epb housing!
The hardest part is fitting the cable to the mechanical pull lever under the centre console compartment floor!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Big Budgie

There was someone else on here recently bleating about the cost of this, frankly, ridiculous piece of automotive junk. What on earth is wrong with a handbrake? A busted cable is about as bad as it gets and the last one I replaced, on the lad's Citroen ZX was the princely sum of 15 from the dealer! Took about an hour to fit including an overhaul of the rear brakes once I had them apart!
I still can't see why you can't just junk the bloody thing and bolt on a handbrake lever and convert the car to proper brakes. I found a brand new lever assembly on ebay for about 70. You'd possibly need different callipers and cables, but, again, I can't see why it wouldn't work and it would be a darn sight cheaper than the electronic disaster area!
It was one of the reasons I refused to buy a C4 Picasso, although I have to admit, I haven't heard any complaints about their epbs, (YET) but then the oldest ones are only about 4 years old so far. Time will tell!
Advertisement