1.6 TDCi EGR Valve removal/How to inc pics - Ford C-Max Forum : 2013 Ford C-Max Owners Club
NEWS

CMaxOwnersClub.com is the premier Ford CMax Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #1

Well not even a week passed before the EGR threw it's hand in again and required cleaning. Decided to blank the valve off with some plate. MIL light is now on but hey I can live with that v the car not revving past 3000rpm and poor fuel economy. Working on a fix to put the MIL lamp out maybe I can devise some way of tricking the PCM into thinking it's working. Anyway thought i'd share a few pics/info if anybody fancied doing their own knowing there is a lack of Haynes manuals ect. The whole job took about 2.5-3hrs inc fabricating the metal plates and a few coffee and *** breaks. If anybody has any questions i'll be more than happy to help!

You can get good access to the EGR valve from the bonnet side of the engine, but you have to remove the wiper arms(you'll need a puller tool to remove them though) then remove the plastic scuttle which is in two parts upper and lower, you also need to remove the brake fluidresivior(held on by 2 torx screws).
The actuall valve is located to the rear and underneaththe fuel filter so I removed the metal housing, the fuel pipes and then the filter its self along with a wiring multiplug. Then there is a little mettal plate that has lugs to hold the fuel filter, it's held by 3x 8mm head sizebolts remove the bolts and the plate. You'll see the valve there then. There is a metal pipe running from the valve to the inlet manifold. Joining the egr valve to the pipe is a metal snap clip which needs to be removed. There is a multibloc connection from the egr valve that needs disconnecting, follow the wires down and you'll see it and unplug. The egr is held by 2 8mm head bolts, remove these be carefull, there is a thin metal plate gasket that sits between the valve and the enginge, don't loose it!.

Once you have got the valve away I took it into the garage and clamped it in the vice. As you look at the valve from above there are 4 small torx screws leave these, it's the 3 larger ones that bolt the motoronto the valve you need to remove, get these out and remove the motor away from the valve(there is a sealing o-ring I replaced this 'cos mine was damaged).

The valve was siezed and covered in carbonon mine, I put the valve into a parafin bath then into a large ultrasonic bath that I have for motorcycle parts(sorry I can't disclose what I use in the bath, it's a trade secret!)for a bit. This freed it right off, i just used carb cleaner then blew it out with compressed air. Re assembled the valve and re fitted it to the car and everything else in reverse order. Make sure when you remove the fuel filter, don't empty the fuel out of it because if you do you'll have to re prime it with fuel, and if you forget the car will be difficult to start. When you do re-start it might be a bit lumpy for a few seconds, this is just because you have had the fuel lines off, it's just the air bleeding out of the system

Here is a slection of tools and cleaning products you may need. Most stuff was 8-13mm. The flex head ratchet spanners really come into their own when removing the EGR valve, 1 of the bolts is quite tricky to remove because of wiring/pipework in the way.

You need to remove the wiper arms. You will deffo need a wiper arm puller for this, undo the 13mm nuts and apply the puller to withdraw the arms. Dont loose the small washers that sit under the nuts!

These clips hold the upper/lower scuttle together, remove the rubber sealing strip then these. I used a trim removal tool but a good flatblade should also do it.

x2 Torx screws hold the brake fluid resivior to the scuttle remove these

Lower scuttle

x2 Torx screws 1 either side holds lower scuttle, remove these then pull the scuttle forwards to remove.

Scuttle removed

Battery -ve terminal removed and earth strap
l

Fuel filter housing removal 3 x 8mm head sized bolts

Here is the valve as fitted to the car (Fuel filter and housing removed)

Actual valve assy, note the o-ring. These are the 3 screws you need to remove to access the valve for cleaning.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #2

Well done on an exellent job & photo record of "how to"[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img].MM

2004 2.0 TDCI Zetec
MetalMicky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #3

Hi my C-Max is 1.6Tdci SAuto Ghia Reg 04. Picture can speak a thousand words - very imformative. Just a few points,
1, When removing the fuel filter how easy was it to remove the pipes, did you have any spillage and is there a need to plug the pipes off?
2, By blanking off the EGR valve how does the affect the perfomance of the engine and what implications are there regarding MOT emmissions tests?
Comment regarding MIL light - I can not see why the light should be on if all is connected. The EGR valve will still function when blanked off so the PCM should not have any messages getting back to it to infer othyerwise.

Mike (Goose)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
Hi my C-Max is 1.6Tdci SAuto Ghia Reg 04. Picture can speak a thousand words - very imformative. Just a few points,
1, When removing the fuel filter how easy was it to remove the pipes, did you have any spillage and is there a need to plug the pipes off?
2, By blanking off the EGR valve how does the affect the perfomance of the engine and what implications are there regarding MOT emmissions tests?
Comment regarding MIL light - I can not see why the light should be on if all is connected. The EGR valve will still function when blanked off so the PCM should not have any messages getting back to it to infer othyerwise.

Mike (Goose)

Hi mate, fuel filter was pretty easy to remove, you don't need to plug the pipes and yes there was a little bit of spillage but not much, when you remove the filter don't drain the fuel out of it, keep it sort of upright to minimise the fuel leaking.

So far the car has been restored to the performance it was before the valve kept siezing up, it does seem to warm up quicker but from what I can gather the egr is a device to lower combustion chamber temp, so far so good
I have had the car on the emissions tester in work today because i am also an MOT tester, there isn't really much differance if any, as far as I am aware the egr only works at low rpm. The emissions test is done at max rpm. I tested it as I would any diesel car, 1 free rev and then the tested rev, it passed 1st rev.

I tried with the egr blanked and it connected the car wouldn't rev up at all, I disconected the multiplug and hey presto performance was restored. The valve isn't connected so I assume the pcm wont see it and throw the light on. Maybe I can wire some 5 ohm resistors in somewhere to trick it or easier still cut the wire to the mil lol
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #5

[/QUOTE]
I tried with the egr blanked and it connected the car wouldn't rev up at all, I disconected the multiplug and hey presto performance was restored. The valve isn't connected so I assume the pcm wont see it and throw the light on. Maybe I can wire some 5 ohm resistors in somewhere to trick it or easier still cut the wire to the mil lol[/QUOTE]

Hi I woke-up in middle of night thicking about this subject - how sad is that.
1 Why would blanking off EGR valve, when multiplug is connected stop the reving up?
2 Is there a sensor in the system that prevents reving when exhust gases do not flow through EGR valve?
3 Did you free-up the valve before fitting the blanking plate and it is perhaps the sticky valve not opening that causes the restricted reving?
4 It is strange that when the multiplug is diconnected that the engine runs "normal" what ever that is.
5 I very interested to pursue the disabling of the ERG valve whether by just disconnecting the multiplug with some trickery so that the PCM is fooled and or fitting a blanking plate.

Mike (Goose)
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #6

Don't know mate tbh I need to look into it further. In all honesty the car runs fine now and i can live with that mil lamp illuminated for the time being. Yes I cleaned the valve out and I even gave it a smidge of grease so it was wasn't siezed. I assume the pcm would send and sense a return voltage from the egr valve relative to wheather its open or closed.

Sorry if I have confused you Goose, but normal performance i.e before I disconected the egr valve the car wouldn't rev over 3000rpm, now with it disconeccted it revs right up to the limiter.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #7

I have made it a sticky.
Many thanks
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #8

What do you mean "I have made it a sticky." ?
Mike (Goose)

Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
What do you mean "I have made it a sticky." ?
Mike (Goose)
A "sticky" thread is one that is placed permanently at the top of a forum. Even if no one posts in it, it will still show up on the first page. This is often done for special announcements, rules / guidelines, and FAQs.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #10

excellent post,

i've got a 2004 1.6 tdci duratorq with a turbo that doesn'talways operate which is possibly inlimp home mode as the turbo itself seems ok (just a tiny bit of play in the bearings and a litle oilin the pipework). i've also removed the oil feed pipe to the turbo and checked it and it's integral filter (a bit of gauze) as these seem to be considered a cause of turbo death.
i am going to have to go through all the other possibilities that i can and, as you say, a manual isn't easily available so your post is a very welcomeinput for me.

if you do any other stuff then please let us know and the pictures are a major help as well.

thanks.
johnnyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement